PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] newbie

ghostrider_gr
March 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
well my problem is that i installed ubuntu 10.10 alongside with windows 7, and from that moment my pc does not ask which operating system i want, but boots automatically ubuntu.. can anyone help me on that cause i am newbie and i dont know what to do..?
thanks in advance..

cbowman57
March 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275&highlight=grub
Hidden
The user can interrupt the boot process and display the menu by holding down the SHIFT key until the menu displays. Grub 2 searches for a depressed SHIFT key signal during boot. If the key is pressed or Grub 2 cannot determine the status of the key, the menu is displayed. Note: The "SHIFT" keystatus check is currently nested within in a conditional statement within /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober and may not work under certain circumstances.
The time the screen remains blank but available for display is determined by a setting in /etc/default/grub.
To provide visual feedback during while the countdown continues, a countdown display can be shown on the screen.
At the end of the timeout, the default entry determined in /etc/default/grub will be selected.

Hippytaff
March 11th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Try opening a terminal in ubuntu (CTRL+ALT+T) and doing
sudo update-grub

watch to see if grub finds windows and then reboot to see if it appears in the grub menu

ghostrider_gr
March 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Try opening a terminal in ubuntu (CTRL+ALT+T) and doing
sudo update-grub

watch to see if grub finds windows and then reboot to see if it appears in the grub menu
i tried this but nothing changed.. it still boots ubuntu.. where i am supposed to see anything about windows?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275&highlight=grub
Hidden
The user can interrupt the boot process and display the menu by holding down the SHIFT key until the menu displays. Grub 2 searches for a depressed SHIFT key signal during boot. If the key is pressed or Grub 2 cannot determine the status of the key, the menu is displayed. Note: The "SHIFT" keystatus check is currently nested within in a conditional statement within /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober and may not work under certain circumstances.
The time the screen remains blank but available for display is determined by a setting in /etc/default/grub.
To provide visual feedback during while the countdown continues, a countdown display can be shown on the screen.
At the end of the timeout, the default entry determined in /etc/default/grub will be selected.
well i did this, and i see the grub menu.. bout there is no windows.. but i am sure that i chose "alongside with aother operating system" during the install.. so do i have to install w7 again?

smurphy_it
March 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
That depends on if it is still there or not. In my signature there is a link to booting problems. Go there, download the script, and post the output here.
That'll tell us.

Hippytaff
March 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
+1 Boot script results