PDA

View Full Version : openSuSE Forums made me sad cause ....

slooksterpsv
March 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I remember Firefox having a button that said Firefox made me sad cause... and you'd choose your option, well I just wanted to give some feedback regarding openSuSE's forums and show how much I really love our Ubuntu Forums Community.

I made a post regarding my Gateway NV53 and it overheating, I let them know what I had tried and what the temps were reading. Well the final post that I got was to try to go to gateway.com or a similar forum and see if someone had openSuSE running well without it overheating. - That made me realize just how good people have it here at the Ubuntu forums.

I ask for help on a laptop, with an overheating issue, with opensuse, on an openSuSE forum, and get told to find another forum. No offense, but openSuSE forum sounds a lot like Microsoft, we made the OS, but go elsewhere to fix your problems. Sorry, I know that's mean, but it's ignorant.

In their defense they did give me a few things to try, with no instructions on how to do what they asked me to try. Anyone else have a similar experience on another forum?

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I really liked opensuse forums. I posted there for a bit even after I started using Ubuntu full time, though eventually I just faded off as I had more folks to help here.

As long as folks aren't disrespectful at least they try. :)

piquat
March 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Funny you mention that. I was just poking around over there. I read maybe 10 threads and came to one with an RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual :) ) post in it. He actually just used the acronym and then quoted the manual. A bit discouraging. The other ones I read were fairly helpful though. Maybe it was an anomoly.

lisati
March 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I thought it was "Read the fine manual"..... :)

slooksterpsv
March 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I thought it was "READ THE <bad word> MANUAL"

lisati
March 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I thought it was "READ THE <bad word> MANUAL"

True. I was trying to avoid violating the forum CoC, while illustrating a CoC-friendly alternative.

piquat
March 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I did notice the person only had 8 posts. I'm not sure that's really a common place thing over there. After reading some of the other threads, I'd bet not. Probably just a bad apple.

HermanAB
March 11th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hmm, in some cases RTFM is the best reply. For example, any questions regarding swap, rsync or iptables are best handled by reading the man pages, since those man pages are very good and even have examples in them.

Also, something like iptables is a moving target, so many answers to iptables questions are wrong and googling for an answer is mostly a waste of time.

So, if you want to know something about swap, then
$ man swapon

Is a very good answer, since there was no way for a new user to know that the correct man page is swapon.

On Ubuntu Forums, many users seem to be scared of man pages, which is kinda stupid, or lazy, or both.

Irihapeti
March 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I say it depends on the man page. So many of them appear to be written by geeks for geeks. I've been around for a while, and I still find some of them (the pages, not the geeks :) ) somewhat overwhelming.

piquat
March 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hmm, in some cases RTFM is the best reply. For example, any questions regarding swap, rsync or iptables are best handled by reading the man pages, since those man pages are very good and even have examples in them.

Also, something like iptables is a moving target, so many answers to iptables questions are wrong and googling for an answer is mostly a waste of time.

So, if you want to know something about swap, then
$ man swapon

Is a very good answer, since there was no way for a new user to know that the correct man page is swapon.

On Ubuntu Forums, many users seem to be scared of man pages, which is kinda stupid, or lazy, or both.

I'd agree. I don't remember the subject but ya, it was kind of a read-the-manual kind of thing. I guess if it were me, I'd have just posted the text and left it at that. That acronym is just abrasive.

disabledaccount
March 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
English man pages are quite accurate but translations sometimes are not up-to-date or just incomplete. Besides, man pages generally are intended to function as cheat-sheets, not as full describtion of every aspect of using every option, function or keyword. But if someone really wants to find solution he will find it after googling or searching forums/FAQs for examples of usage in particular situations.

Paqman
March 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I say it depends on the man page. So many of them appear to be written by geeks for geeks. I've been around for a while, and I still find some of them (the pages, not the geeks :) ) somewhat overwhelming.

^This. Many man pages are of a very poor quality, and almost useless. The majority are not well written or formatted. Some few are excellent.