PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting errors trying to install BURG boot manager

pmgmr2
March 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Hello! I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now and I'm learning A LOT, but still have to periodically dual-boot into Windows 7. I recently found out about the Burg manager on this article:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/45164/how-to-customize-the-ubuntu-bootloader-screen/

When I entered the synaptic package manager and tried to install BURG, I got a dialog box that says "an error occured. The following details are provided:"

E: linux-image-2.6.35-27-generic: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
E: linux-image-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: linux-generic: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

I've googled and come up with erratic results. This is my first time on the forum, and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hakunka-Matata
March 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Did the repository add alright, no errors? Any broken packages showing in synaptic?
http://ubuntuguide.net/decorate-grub-2-boot-loader-using-burg
maybe that link will help

Oppa888
March 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I believe the solution here is to run the following command in a terminal session:

sudo apt-get -f install

(this will fix any broken dependencies and automatically download and install them)

Then you can reinstall burg.....

Hakunka-Matata
March 28th, 2011, 06:12 AM
That command-line is so oft quoted, yet rarely seems to produce sought after goal.

If only
sudo apt-get -f install fixed the incomplete, or partial update or upgrade task it would be warranted to show up so often in these forums.

That being said, I do hope it works for the OP. If
sudo apt-get -f install does not work I suggest the OP persue a series of commands investigating the contents of various /cache folders with the objective of discovering the listing of previously issued individual commands qualified at the start of each line with a status symbol (llike a bentley for example) of
rc
i
ii
iiiNOW, if only I can remember/find those command lines, they are a series of commands along the lines of
ls /etc/var/cache
But I don't remember which directories (folders) are involved, I do believe they are all "cache" folders

HELP ANYBODY??????