PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Dell Dimension L933r

ron177
March 11th, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have an old Dell Dimension L933r and would like to boost it with Linux. I wonder if that is possible with Ubuntu. It right now runs on Windows ME. The computer is 9 or 10 years old. I bought it years ago but have not been using it for the past couple of years. I don't know the specs of this computer unfortunately. I don't know whether it's 32 or 64 bits or what's its architecture. I think the speed is 933 MHz and the memory is 500 MB. It's probably a Pentium III.

I wonder what would people on this site recommend for upgrading this system. Should I install Ubuntu? Or no, I should go with another Linux distro? If so, which one do you recommend. I like Ubuntu because it's really easy to set it up. My experience with Debian has been very negative overall. It's just difficult to set it up. Any tips and advice would be most appreciated.

ender4
March 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
First of all, if it is 9 or 10 years old it is probably 32 bit, and most likely x86 architecture. Ubuntu would probably work on it, but I might suggest looking into Xubunt and Lubuntu, since they might perform better on the old hardware (they are lighter weight.)