PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus Continuously Autospawns After Upgrading To 2.31.1 From PPA

hayhursm
March 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I upgraded Nautilus from 2.30.0 to 2.31.1 in Ubuntu 10.04 using ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa. After I rebooted my PC the processor shot up about 80% and a bunch of Nautilus windows began to open on my taskbar; I also noticed that all of my Desktop icons (Trash, Computer, Network Servers) had disappeared. Of course, using the command "sudo ppa-purge ppa:am-monkeyd/nautilus-elementary-ppa" fixed the problem but I would really like to use the new version of Nautilus. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I have been using that PPA on 10.04 and 10.10 without the slightest problem . Do you have a lot of PPAS ? the only thing can think is a possible conflict with another PPA or it did not install correctly . It may be worth another try .

hayhursm
March 11th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I have been using that PPA on 10.04 and 10.10 without the slightest problem . Do you have a lot of PPAS ? the only thing can think is a possible conflict with another PPA or it did not install correctly . It may be worth another try .

What do you consider to be too many PPA's? I currently have 13 PPA's (including the Nautilus PPA). I just tested this PPA on a second PC running Ubuntu 10.04 (with same PPA's) and it works just fine so far. Hmmmmm... now I'm stumped, do you think it's a dependency of some sort?

hayhursm
March 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM

I GOT IT!! First, I decided to give this another try so I re-activated the PPA and then installed again but still no luck. I decided to purge the PPA once again but noticed this:
Suggested packages:
gnome-app-install
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
libnautilus-extension1 nautilus nautilus-data

After purging the PPA I decided to install gnome-app-install. After that I re-activated the PPA yet again and issued a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and PRESTO, Nautilus 2.31.1 worked!! It's strange the gnome-app-install package is listed under Suggested Packages when it is actually REQUIRED for the upgraded Nautilus to function??? These little set backs are frustrating but at the same time one always learns something new.

Frogs Hair
March 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Glad it's working , I have only NE installed twice , once 10.04 and once on 10.10 and I did not see anything like you described . I just installed the PPA and ran nautilus -q and never looked back.

hayhursm
March 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Glad it's working , I have only NE installed twice , once 10.04 and once on 10.10 and I did not see anything like you described . I just installed the PPA and ran nautilus -q and never looked back.

I apologize but I must reopen this thread. I'm 100% sure I've narrowed this problem down to having multiple monitors. I thought the gnome-app-install fixed my problem but it turns out I just had my second monitor disabled. I can recreate the autospawn problem by enabling and disabling my secondary monitor so I'm 100% sure this is causing it. When the secondary monitor is enabled then Nautilus will continuously autospawn and not work. It seems odd that a second monitor would cause this but I'm sure there's some explanation for it.

hayhursm
March 24th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Can anyone help me out?

hayhursm
April 17th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Can anyone help me out...surely I can't be the only one with dual monitors experiencing this?

hayhursm
June 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Bump