PDA

View Full Version : Is there a small linux distro ment to run off a flash drive?

robro
March 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hello,
I didn't know where to put this but the community cafe seems good :)
anyways i'm looking for a (extremely) small linux distro thats ment to be ran from a usb flash drive, by small I mean "tiny core" small, I use ubuntu now for my main OS, and i'm going to do dual boot with open suse as soon as I get this slow good for nothing windows off of it (:)), the reason i'm looking for a distro like that is because I have a 8 gb flash drive thats just gathering dust, also because I want a light weight distro that's fast.

Thanks for the help and replies :)

marl30
March 10th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Puppy Linux is perhaps the best option outside of Tiny Core. It is about 120mb.

smurphy_it
March 10th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I used to use one ages ago called DSL (Damn Small Linux) which was for pen drives, and was only about 50MB.

JRV
March 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Puppy is perfect for running off a flash drive.
DSL seems to be dying.

robro
March 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reply(s),
I've heard puppy linux and it seems good for 128 mb's, although it is a bit more compared to 10 mb's :lol: thats probably the best way to go though, I will probably use it if I can't find anything better :)

edit: I don't like dsl too much

kellemes
March 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Puppy is perfect for running off a flash drive.
DSL seems to be dying.

+1
Puppy indeed..

Hur Dur
March 10th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Slax is made as a live CD. They actually recommend against installing it to the flash drive.

Puppy isn't really a featherweight anymore, as it crawls on very old computers. However, it's good for a flash drive Linux distro.

SliTaz is actively developed, and they have a live CD available.

Feather Linux and DSL are dormant, but they are good Live CDs to have if you have an older computer.

There's always Finnix, although it is a pretty big distro.

You could try a distro that is the bare minimum (i.e. Just a working system, no X.)

For extremely small, look at: Blueflops, and Devil Linux.

robro
March 11th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the list hur dur :)
As of now slitaz looks like the most lightweight and best looking so far, I am downloading it now and gonna try it as soon as it finishes,

Again, thanks for your replies :)

jerenept
March 11th, 2011, 01:09 AM
There is AntiX (http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page).

robro
March 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Alright I downloaded and put slitaz on the flash drive and booted it up, and it looks great (not to mention that it just takes only 50mb's of memory :D) so i'm gonna keep it there :)

Thanks a lot for your help everyone :)

:popcorn:

wojox
March 11th, 2011, 01:53 AM
There's ArchBang and CrunchBang as well.