PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] question about multiple DE

geeve420
March 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone! I have a quick question for y'all, I have the how to on installing and switching between DE's, my quaestion is, If I install KDE, Enlightenment (Gnome already being there) Do I have to set up my graghics card drivers again for each DE or does tha info transfer regardless of what DE I am using at the moment.

Just wanted to play around with them, but not gp through the driver, flash, DVD setup again :D

Thanks in advance

Geeve

Specs if you need them :) Old Emachine W3107 (Pulled from closet), Nvidea 6100, 768 MB Ram, 150 GB HD, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Krytarik
March 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
No, generally not. Unless you run "xrandr" or such with a startup script from inside Gnome, or at the startup of GDM and choose to use KDM instead.

"Pulled from closet", LOL :D

geeve420
March 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Krytarik!! I will give it a shot when I get home. I like Gnome but wanted to see what KDE and such were all about :)

LOL, you like that! I was cleaning up the house and came accross it under a bunch of old magazines and electronics in my closet and thought "Why not make use of it" I can now screw around and mess things up on this system without killing my home recording rig :)

Lars Noodén
March 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
You can also try just a Window manager, if you want to see more speed. Openbox and fvwm are two favorites. I like the themed fvwm-crystal (http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/fvwm-crystal) very much myself.

The choice of what to run is made at the login screen.