PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation went great until reboot...

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
When I rebooted the computer after installation, it took me to XP, which I had told the computer to overwrite. How do I get it to automatically take me to Ubuntu? I assume in BIOS, but I don't know where Ubuntu was installed to. Is there a way to check?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I installed it from a flashdrive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

An Sanct
March 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Well, it depends on how you installed, if you selected to use the whole disk, as the single OS, then it should have used the space XP used before.

If you are on a live USB, can you tell us what results you get, running this command in terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal)

sudo fdisk -l
This will list all the partitions on your disks

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Are you saying to do this from XP? I'm not seeing anything called terminal except hyper terminal. Unless you meant to use the command prompt...

An Sanct
March 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
No, from XP, Right click on "My Computer" select "manage" and in the treeview on the right select "Disk management"

This will show graphically how your disk is partitioned.

If you could provide a screenshot of just that window, we can assume what happened.

PS. Ctrl + [Print Screen] will take a snapshot of the whole desktop, you can then crop it in paintbrush.

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Heres the screen shot

An Sanct
March 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
On disk 2, there is a "healthy, unknown partition" is it possible, that Ubuntu is there?

If you restart the computer, do you see something like this?
http://www.davestechsupport.com/blog/images/grub.png

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
No, when i restart, it just takes me through the standard XP loading screens.

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
And disk 2 is my external harddrive, which I just replugged in not long ago, but after giving up on Ubuntu

An Sanct
March 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hm ... if you realy wish to go to Ubuntu, try a reinstall.

tbhesswebber
March 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I would love to go to Ubuntu. I am attaching a picture of the same screen as before, but without my normal external and with the external that I used as the installer for Ubuntu. The management screen recognizes that its there, but it does not give me the option of opening it in my computer. Any ideas?