PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite L670D-102

bwallum
March 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hello

I have been trying to load Ubuntu 10.10 (tried both AMD64 and i386 versions of Desktop Edition) onto a Satellite L670D-102 using a Live CD. The CD spins for a while, there is some activity on the hard drive and then I get a flashing white cursor (a hyphen) on a black screen. I left it all night and it remained the same. I tried with a 'live' usb and again, no boot. The cds and usb work in other machines running both amd and intel cpus.

The sort of questions that spring to mind are:-
Is there some security or other setting within the cmos that prevents anything other than Windows being loaded?
Are Toshiba simply anti- Linux and I need a new machine?
Do I need a special bios to run Ubuntu?

Any help in resolving the issue would be welcome.

bwallum
March 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Found It!

In the cmos menu (press F2 before boot), under the Advanced Tab there is a setting called USB Legacy Emulation. If this is set to 'Enabled' the white flashing cursor as described will flash for ever. If set to 'Disabled' Ubuntu fires up ok. 100% repeatable.

markgw
April 4th, 2011, 01:35 PM
This worked for me too. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C660-153.

Up to now the only solution that worked for me was to set acpi=off in the kernel options - very unsatisfactory. This is the only solution I've seen posted elsewhere as well, so I suspect this post may be of use to others.

madwoollything
April 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Same here with C660 14W ... thanks!

mörgæs
April 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.

Would also be good, it you could mention the trick in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006