PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Reader 9 smoother on Ubuntu

ade234uk
March 10th, 2011, 02:15 PM
First things first, why is Adobe Reader such a big download these days on Windows Machines. And why does it take an age to install as well.

Comparing Abobe Reader 9 on Ubuntu to Adobe Reader 9 on Windows, Ubuntu comes out as the clear winner. Its so much quicker and so much smoother than the Windows version.

mamamia88
March 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
who cares? it's still a piece of junk software.

ade234uk
March 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
If its crap, what other pdf readers can you recommend I use in Ubuntu?

nomko
March 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM

I know that Foxit Reader has a Linux version.
But what's wrong with the standard viewer?

marl30
March 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
That wasn't the case when I started using Ubuntu a year ago, but I must admit that it has improved a lot with the new version. It opens quicker and browsing is smoother. I don't consider it a junk as others. However, there are plenty of others for Linux. The default one that comes with Ubuntu isn't bad either.

tgalati4
March 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evince works 90% of the time. I have a collection of pathological pdf's that won't open or print correctly in evince but work in adobe9. Follow the evince bug trail and you too will have such a collection.

These bad actors tend to be maps and train schedules from public agencies.

Quake
March 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evince works with every PDF I've come across. But the hand-written PDF files aren't anti-aliased.

uRock
March 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I have been using Adobe Reader for about a week in Ubuntu and though it works well, The default PDF reader loads much faster and looks just as good.

mamamia88
March 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I just use the default pdf reader. (Document viewer) works great

marl30
March 10th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I've made Adobe Reader my default since 9.4.1 was released. It gives me no issue whatsoever.

oldos2er
March 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Okular. I don't dislike acroread, but it seems to have some security concerns, plus there's no 64-bit Linux version.

Frogs Hair
March 11th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I tried Evince for Windows so I could avoid adobe it looked great but did not work very well at the time . I also tried Foxit but they have the free version set to show water marks in the documents for Windows anyway. I ended up With Sorax @ 7mb on Windows and Evince on Ubuntu.

jerenept
March 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I like SumatraPDF on Windows. Just my personal opinion.

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I eschew Acrobat Reader. On my father's computer, anything printed from Acrobat is jumbled mess, but Evince works perfectly.

fillintheblanks
March 11th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I recently downloaded 3 adobe reader versions from their website v10, 9, and 8. None of them could run on a stock WinXP Pro SP2 install. What a pathetic waste of time.

pi3.1415926535...
March 11th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I use Adobe Reader because it has a search function while evince does not.

uRock
March 11th, 2011, 04:12 AM
If you use Document Viewer, then the search function is easily added to the task bar.

Cracklepop
March 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Hmm, I remember seeing this in one of your threads before...Evince does have search, it's Edit > Find, and like uRock just said, you can put it on the toolbar if you want.

Adobe Reader is huge, slow, and bloated. Even way back in my Windows days I used Foxit instead of Adobe.

I have had a pdf file that didn't display properly in the default viewer, back in 8.10, and I installed xPdf from the repositories to view that file, but I've never seen another like it since.

I personally wouldn't even consider putting up with Adobe Reader just in case I one day come across another misbehaving pdf.

beew
March 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I know that Foxit Reader has a Linux version.
But what's wrong with the standard viewer?

Foxit Linux is dead, that is, no more development for quite a while though they don't even have the courtesy to tell you. people only found out when inuring about updates and requesting features in their forum . It is just another example of a company making a crappy Linux version of their Windows product and tosses it to the Linux community and then quietly kills it.

The Linux version is very basic anyway, nothing like the Windows version. A funny thing is it can't even render its own manual correctly (it shows up as gibberish) The only thing it has was speed, but since 10.10 evince has improved a lot. There is really no reason to use Foxit.

nomko
March 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Foxit Linux is dead, that is, no more development for quite a while though they don't even have the courtesy to tell you. people only found out when inuring about updates and requesting features in their forum . It is just another example of a company making a crappy Linux version of their Windows product and tosses it to the Linux community and then quietly kills it.

The Linux version is very basic anyway, nothing like the Windows version. A funny thing is it can't even render its own manual correctly (it shows up as gibberish) The only thing it has was speed, but since 10.10 evince has improved a lot. There is really no reason to use Foxit.

Okay, i didn't know that. I've used it for a while and it looked okay to me. In any way it worked fatser then Adobe Reader. But i'm currently using the standard viewer of Ubuntu itself.