PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Best desktop environment for 512MB RAM?

fela
March 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
---
EDIT: Don't worry, I've found one that looks good: LXDE.

Although, tell me if you know of any others :)
---

Hi

I have an old Dell optiplex with 512MB RAM and a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. Right now it has windows XP installed however I'm considering switching it to Linux. If I was to do that, I'd probably choose Arch as the distro, but what desktop environment do you recommend for these specs?

cheers, Fela

mörgæs
March 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Yes, LXDE (Lubuntu) is a good choice.

There are more lightweight distros here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582027

Alver
March 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
---
EDIT: Don't worry, I've found one that looks good: LXDE.

Although, tell me if you know of any others :)
---

Hi

I have an old Dell optiplex with 512MB RAM and a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. Right now it has windows XP installed however I'm considering switching it to Linux. If I was to do that, I'd probably choose Arch as the distro, but what desktop environment do you recommend for these specs?

cheers, Fela
Hello, I use Ubuntu 10.04 on an ageing desktop with very much the same specs (3.0 Ghz P4, 512 MB RAM). It runs very well in a dual boot setup with Windows XP. Hope this helps.

Alver

fela
March 10th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Hello, I use Ubuntu 10.04 on an ageing desktop with very much the same specs (3.0 Ghz P4, 512 MB RAM). It runs very well in a dual boot setup with Windows XP. Hope this helps.

Alver

Hmm, I think I tried that a while ago and it didn't like the small (by today's standards) amount of RAM. LXDE should run on it properly though - come to think of it, I think I might have used LXDE before on a low-memory* machine :D

*[just a few years ago, 512MB would have been seen as average or even high :P]