PDA

View Full Version : Anyone planning on give openSUSE 11.4 a try?

Philsoki
March 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
It's supposed to come out in seven hours or so... I used 11.3 for a while before going on a distro-hopping rampage and settling on Ubuntu again because I screwed something up and the disk was conveniently on my desk... I think I'm going to give it another spin though - maybe settle on the xfce version. I dunno.

Anyone else going to give it a shot?

johntaylor1887
March 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
It's supposed to come out in seven hours or so... I used 11.3 for a while before going on a distro-hopping rampage and settling on Ubuntu again because I screwed something up and the disk was conveniently on my desk... I think I'm going to give it another spin though - maybe settle on the xfce version. I dunno.

I always try every major release. Although I havn't been awestruck with opensuse in the past, I always try the latest, hoping that it will work smoothly. I'll leave it at that.

johntaylor1887
March 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM

You know what the great thing is though? If you are a true linux fan, you back up your stuff twice on 2 different drives, and you go nuts trying out different OS's. To me that's fun. And that's how you learn.

I really wish people wouldn't badmouth other distros, but I guess it's going to happen from time to time. I like to think all us linux users are "together" in the fact we choose to use it.

Opensuse is cool if you can wrap your head around the rpm way of life. Some like it, some don't. I can definitely live without it, but it's a good way of doing things, once you're used to the nomenclature. Can't wait to check it out though.

KiwiNZ
March 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I have had previous versions of Open Suse running on test machines in the sandpit in the past. I have not liked KDE and its Crayola themes for some time . I may give it a whirl , haven't decided yet.

johntaylor1887
March 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have had previous versions of Open Suse running on test machines in the sandpit in the past. I have not liked KDE and its Crayola themes for some time .

Exactly.

ilovelinux33467
March 10th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Most definitely. 11.4 RC2 KDE on my laptop is extremely stable. Looking forward to the final release :D

ctrlmd
March 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM

me as soon as torrent released i'll download it
and i might make it my default linux box

its either i stay with ubuntu 10.10 or switch to opensuse KDE
i won't use ubuntu 11.04 for sure

Philsoki
March 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Most definitely. 11.4 RC2 KDE on my laptop is extremely stable. Looking forward to the final release :D
Whew, good to hear!

its either i stay with ubuntu 10.10 or switch to opensuse KDEUbuntu 10.10 is actually pretty nice, but I get bored using the same OS - even when it is perfectly functional.

Not even Xubuntu!? It's looking pretty nice IMO.:D

VastOne
March 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Whew, good to hear!

Ubuntu 10.10 is actually pretty nice, but I get bored using the same OS - even when it is perfectly functional.

Looking nice is one thing, behaving nice is yet another...

Testing Xubuntu 11.04 it seems to have miles to go compared to Ubuntu 11.04 on the same system

Original Desktop Natty is looking good.. I can live with it rather than a complete changeover. I cannot live with Unity which is why I was giving X a whirl

ctrlmd
March 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Whew, good to hear!

Ubuntu 10.10 is actually pretty nice, but I get bored using the same OS - even when it is perfectly functional.

not even any DE):P

rolnics
March 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I like opensuse, but I don't seem to be able to get with thing up and running as well as Ubuntu. But I'm sure I'll give it a whirl though, I'm currently on a distro mission.....try as many as possible! lol Currently running Debian Squeeze, but without sound and graphics aren't 100% yet either!

BrokenKingpin
March 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I might give it a try. I have been hearing good things out of the SUSE camp as of late. I don't see myself staying on it though, as I just feel more comfortable on a Debian based system.

sffvba[e0rt
March 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Had the final ISO a few hours before the official release (thanks to the IRC channels :D) and it worked a charm from start in Virtual-box, no guest additions even needed... Very slick looking implementation of KDE 4.6...

I have always been a fan of openSUSE and this looks like an awesome release for Geeko :)

BigSilly
March 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Downloading the 64 bit version now. Think I ought to give this one a serious go, after a few deal-breaking bugs in both Gnome and Maverick of late...

ilovelinux33467
March 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I am currently downloading the 64-bit DVD with aria2. 10 minutes to go :popcorn:

RiceMonster
March 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I may. I like KDE, but I don't really like YaST and all those custom tools OpenSUSE comes with.

ilovelinux33467
March 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Finished downloading. Ran isohybrid on the iso and now dd'ing to a flash drive :KS

ratcheer
March 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Not I. I am thinking about trying the new PC-BSD, though.

Tim

ilovelinux33467
March 10th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Now running 11.4 KDE on my laptop. Everything is running well. Very happy with 11.4 :D

Timmer1240
March 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Anyone ever try Susestudio you customize the ISO to fit your needs your apps and software its pretty neet! http://susestudio.com/

mmsmc
March 11th, 2011, 12:07 AM
i love the gnome desktop, i downloaded kubuntu from the repositories to boot up the kde desktop, and just had way to many problems, when my mom/sister get a virus on there windows and decide to get a new computer ill install opensuse then, as i heard great things about it :)

LADmaticCA
March 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I'm installing it right now on my test box. The live cd was nice on this older box. I had kwin effects out the box...nice to see the nouveau driver coming along. Been doing a bit of distro hopping lately trying to find something between ubuntu and arch, suse sounds great from the read-up.

ilovelinux33467
March 11th, 2011, 05:06 AM
About to install it on my Desktop. Working very well on Laptop.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
March 11th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I don't really like YaST and all those custom tools OpenSUSE comes with.

This.

ilovelinux33467
March 11th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Here is the highlights of 11.4 if anyone is interested
http://en.opensuse.org/Product_highlights

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
The release articles on opensuse.org were awesome. :D

KiwiNZ
March 11th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I have installed it on one of my test boxes today, I have to say, so far KDE still leaves me cold.

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I have installed it on one of my test boxes today, I have to say, so far KDE still leaves me cold.

I would recommend KDE to folks that like Windows, and I do like the plasma desktop (but I avoid any of the more advanced aspects of it). Mostly because they cut out the desktop being the file dumping ground.

piquat
March 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have a question. I read this:

The boot process has new tools that should bring better performance and maintainability. Among them is systemd, still experimental, but featuring improved boot times if enabled. The latest gfxboot 4.3.5 brings improved support for virtualbox and qemu-kvm. GRUB2 is now available for testing in openSUSE 11.4. Like systemd it is still not deemed ready for everyday use, but you can try it out.

Soooo, they're not using GRUB2? They're using legacy GRUB? LILO? Something else?

I'd like to dual boot this on my laptop. Do I just tell it not to load whatever they're using and do a grub update from my other install (which uses GRUB2)?

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I think grub legacy likely. A lot of distros actually still use it.

piquat
March 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Niiiice, this will be learning experience. :) I'd better back up first!

slooksterpsv
March 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Probably not, it overheats my laptop, the RCs do the same and all versions 11.1-11.3 have overheated my lappy.

KiwiNZ
March 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I would recommend KDE to folks that like Windows, and I do like the plasma desktop (but I avoid any of the more advanced aspects of it). Mostly because they cut out the desktop being the file dumping ground.

I think I will stay with Ubuntu

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Yeah, personally, once KDE hit 4.2, I had my fill. I use Gnome (unity) and Xfce.

dmn_clown
March 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Mostly because they cut out the desktop being the file dumping ground.

No they didn't, it just isn't the default behavior:

Right click > Desktop Settings > Type > Folder View

ilovelinux33467
March 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have noticed that zypper (Package manager) is much faster in 11.4 then in 11.3. LibreOffice comes default with 11.4 I am really liking it.

Supergoo
March 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Good solid release of opensuse, was running it since the last RC. But came back home to Ubuntu.

Ji Ruo
March 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I'm currently using the 11.3 education bundle which is the best distro release I've seen - so many programs included! So I will likely move to 11.4 when the education bundle comes along...

I'm on the other side of the fence, I'm sick of GNOME at the moment. One of the primary reasons I went looking for another distro than Ubuntu.

BigSilly
March 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Really looking forward to giving this a go. Just grabbed the DVD now. I've been using KDE4.6 on PCLinuxOS lately and it's been amazing. There's none of the UI problems with it like I get with Ubuntu and Gnome, so I'm hopeful for OpenSuse. :)

mikewhatever
March 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Tried it, wouldn't boot from the live usb. Looks like it couldn't deal with Nvidia 9300m.

kabloink
March 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I installed it on a second partition, but unfortunately I can't stand the font rendering. I tried tweaking the fonts, but they remained somewhat fuzzy. I really liked everything else about it.

beew
March 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I downloaded an iso and made a liveusb a few nights ago, but can't install it. The installer cannot detect all my partitions (I intended to put it in something like sdb13. But it only showed up to sdb12) and then there is a little dialogue box recommending that I erase sdb1 to sdb4 which is where Ubuntu and Fedora are. I am scared and quited.

johntaylor1887
March 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I can't get wireless to work. Kind of strange since it works in every other major distro. Every time I try opensuse, it's the same old thing that something always disappoints me. It makes me appreciate ubuntu even more.

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I may. I like KDE, but I don't really like YaST and all those custom tools OpenSUSE comes with.

that's the best part :o

dh04000
March 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I just gave it a try. YAST2 can tell me everything about my wireless card, and even tells me that the driver for it works. But why on earth won't it work? I have NO IDEA how to configure it..... can't it do this for me, like on Ubuntu?

Basically, the test ended on that note. No wireless, no evaluation.

Also, setting it up to use sda2 was a pain in the butt. It wanted to default delete sda1 and sda2, but only use sda2 for the installation, but put grub on sda1.

What kinda default is that?

sffvba[e0rt
March 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I can't get wireless to work. Kind of strange since it works in every other major distro. Every time I try opensuse, it's the same old thing that something always disappoints me. It makes me appreciate ubuntu even more.

The network application for openSUSE is most probably the single biggest issue with the distro... And seems it will continue to be :/

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
here is the unofficial guide to openSuSe 11.4

http://opensuse-guide.org/installation.php

johntaylor1887
March 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Basically, the test ended on that note. No wireless, no evaluation.

Same here. Seems needlessly complicated just to get wireless working.

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Same here. Seems needlessly complicated just to get wireless working.

i don't wish to appear selfish, but my wireless works fine.

johntaylor1887
March 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
here is the unofficial guide to openSuSe 11.4

http://opensuse-guide.org/installation.php

For wireless, that site (opensuse-guide.org) says for broadcom, atheros and intel, it should work out of the box. For other chipsets it says:

Other Chips
If your chipset manufacturer is not mentioned above, search the web for opensuse [your chipset] and you're likely to find information on how to get it working.

How about opensuse-guide.org telling me how? I mean, it is the guide, is it not? A guide that tells me to google for info is not much of a guide.

johntaylor1887
March 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
i don't wish to appear selfish, but my wireless works fine.

Mine does too, with 99% of the distros I try. ;)

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
For wireless, that site (opensuse-guide.org) says for broadcom, atheros and intel, it should work out of the box. For other chipsets it says:

Other Chips
If your chipset manufacturer is not mentioned above, search the web for opensuse [your chipset] and you're likely to find information on how to get it working.

How about opensuse-guide.org telling me how? I mean, it is the guide, is it not? A guide that tells me to google for info is not much of a guide.

it's an unofficial guide.

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Mine does too, with 99% of the distros I try. ;)

so is that it, just throw in your hat? :)

armageddon08
March 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Definitely. Gonna download the full 4.7 gigs DVD media tomorrow. I was using openSUSE 11.3 on my notebook before I decided to turn it into a home server. And boy was it stable!!!

NightwishFan
March 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
OpenSUSE gnome is practically the same as Ubuntu, it uses network manager as well. The only reason a wifi card would not work is if it is lacking firmware. Just search for firmware about your card, ill bet it has it.

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
OpenSUSE gnome is practically the same as Ubuntu, it uses network manager as well. The only reason a wifi card would not work is if it is lacking firmware. Just search for firmware about your card, ill bet it has it.

usually when adding the card in yast> network devices, it will install the firmware automatically.

we also have the choice to use either traditional ifup or knetwork manager if on kde desktop.

johntaylor1887
March 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM

The network icon on the panel is a big red X, not allowing me to do anything. So I go into YAST (network devices) to configure the card, and the card is seen and I can even scan for networks in my area. It sees my network and I configure everything and reboot. Nothing. I'm back to square one.

At least with Kubuntu (not my fav distro) I could just click the network icon and see a list of networks. If someone has an idea, I'd like to hear it, otherwise I'm going to wipe it out in a day or 2. I don't have time for non-sense when every other distro known to man works without hassle with my card.

inobe
March 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
The network icon on the panel is a big red X, not allowing me to do anything. So I go into YAST (network devices) to configure the card, and the card is seen and I can even scan for networks in my area. It sees my network and I configure everything and reboot. Nothing. I'm back to square one.

that probably means your using ifup, a more advanced way of setting up your card, if you don't know how to use it, simply load the firmware "if needed' and check to see if the card has a loaded module, if yes, switch to network manager and configure your card there, it's the same as kubuntu's network manager.

if your using network manager, you need to switch to ifup to use ifup!

you would get this message

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/889/ifup.jpg

edit: looks like this

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6504/ifup1.jpg

ilovelinux33467
March 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone wanting to try out openSUSE should have a look at these guides:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/

Lots of useful information in there including how to add the libdvdcss and packman repos for multimedia codecs etc...

ilovelinux33467
March 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
that's the best part :o

+1

beew
March 12th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I will try if its bloody installer find my partitions!

Shining Arcanine
March 12th, 2011, 11:53 PM

OpenSUSE is using glibc 2.11.3 while Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 is using glibc 2.13. The rationale for staying with glibc 2.11.3 can be found on their mailing list:

http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-factory/2010-11/msg00355.html

I might start WWIII by saying this, but OpenSUSE 11.4 seems to be designed for better stability than Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 11.04. They are using a version of glibc that is better maintained than the 2.12 version used in Ubuntu 10.10 and unlike the 2.13 version used in Ubuntu 11.04, will not trigger bugs due to improper usage of memcpy() in userland applications like flash that have yet to be patched to use it properly.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 12:59 AM
that probably means your using ifup, a more advanced way of setting up your card, if you don't know how to use it, simply load the firmware "if needed' and check to see if the card has a loaded module, if yes, switch to network manager and configure your card there, it's the same as kubuntu's network manager.

if your using network manager, you need to switch to ifup to use ifup!

you would get this message

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/889/ifup.jpg

edit: looks like this

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6504/ifup1.jpg

Thanks for the help. I switched to network manager and could see all the networks in my area. Still can't connect to anything. This is how it is every time I try opensuse. I keep giving it one more chance, but without fail, I run into a problem.

I built my pc specifically for linux, and never have a problem with any distro I try. Except opensuse. Never again will I waste my time on it. And for those that use it with no problems, good for you, and I hope you enjoy it. Good bye, and good riddance.

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the help. I switched to network manager and could see all the networks in my area. Still can't connect to anything. This is how it is every time I try opensuse. I keep giving it one more chance, but without fail, I run into a problem.

we aren't done yet :o

run

lspci

from your ubuntu box.

also, are you able to shake hands with your wireless router, but you don't have an internet connection?

if yes, do you have dsl?

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 01:58 AM
$ lspci
\00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RX780/RX790 Chipset Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port A)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port F)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3a)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de1 (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0bea (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
03:06.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
03:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
03:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

kaldor
March 13th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I always end up trying OpenSUSE. I ran it as my primary OS for about 3 months once, but then, as always, something messes up.

I love openSUSE, but I hate zypper.

rosswmcgee
March 13th, 2011, 02:21 AM

me as soon as torrent released i'll download it
and i might make it my default linux box

its either i stay with ubuntu 10.10 or switch to opensuse KDE

Why not try U 11.04? I have in alpha seems OK!

Shining Arcanine
March 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Why not try U 11.04? I have in alpha seems OK!

As I said above, Ubuntu 11.04 uses glibc 2.13, which exposes bugs in software due to the improper use of memcpy():

OpenSUSE is using glibc 2.11.3 while Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 is using glibc 2.13. The rationale for staying with glibc 2.11.3 can be found on their mailing list:

http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-factory/2010-11/msg00355.html

I might start WWIII by saying this, but OpenSUSE 11.4 seems to be designed for better stability than Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 11.04. They are using a version of glibc that is better maintained than the 2.12 version used in Ubuntu 10.10 and unlike the 2.13 version used in Ubuntu 11.04, will not trigger bugs due to improper usage of memcpy() in userland applications like flash that have yet to be patched to use it properly.

Unless you want to deal with hard to diagnose issues, using Ubuntu 11.04 is probably a bad idea.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I apologize for my previous statements a bit. I was using KDE before and it didn't work out. But I reinstalled with XFCE (from the DVD) and it was like night and day. All of a sudden things worked much better.

I guess I like the simpler desktops better, but part of that reasoning is, it seems I have bad luck with the eye-candy oriented OS's. Windows 7 included. My computer seems to run better on xfce, fluxbox, openbox, etc. Maybe it's just me. (but I do have a real nice quad core PC) But I'm typing from OpenSuse 11.4 right now, and it seems pretty good rocking XFCE. Good job devs. I've changed my tune, you just have to find the right DE.

I just can't figure out why KDE never works good for me.......<scratches head>

Philsoki
March 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I think I'm having the same problem as johntaylor1887. I installed openSUSE 11.4 on my main PC just a few minutes ago, it looks really, really nice. And it boots very fast on what I consider to be pretty dismal hardware (Even if it is my main).

Apart from that though I haven't had much time to mess around with it. The nouveau driver has really come around, openSUSE compositing is working fine with the open-source driver - the graphics card is some really low grade 128MB card too - so that's impressive.

Guess I'll mess around and see if I can get wireless working, otherwise openSUSE 11.4 (At least the KDE version) isn't going to meet my needs.

Right now I have a red "x" button on the bottom right of my screen and when I click it and select "Enable networking" and "Enable wireless" the only thing that happens is the "Show hidden networks" thing disappears (In the Connections menu).

Time to mess around...

Philsoki
March 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I apologize for my previous statements a bit. I was using KDE before and it didn't work out. But I reinstalled with XFCE (from the DVD) and it was like night and day. All of a sudden things worked much better.

I guess I like the simpler desktops better, but part of that reasoning is, it seems I have bad luck with the eye-candy oriented OS's. Windows 7 included. My computer seems to run better on xfce, fluxbox, openbox, etc. Maybe it's just me. (but I do have a real nice quad core PC) But I'm typing from OpenSuse 11.4 right now, and it seems pretty good rocking XFCE. Good job devs. I've changed my tune, you just have to find the right DE.

I knew you'd come around!:D

I don't have any blank DVD's so I just got the KDE Live CD. I don't feel like chewing through more Bandwidth yet so I'll try and get it working till I get fed up. (A good 2 -3 hours!).

Shining Arcanine
March 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM

It sounds like you have an issue with your graphics hardware. It is most likely dusty. Use a can of compressed air to clear it out and try KDE again. If that doesn't fix it, I suspect that your graphics hardware is damaged. if that is the case, you will have to run KDE with either compositing disabled or OpenGL software rendering, or buy a new graphics card.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 07:30 AM
The nouveau driver has really come around, openSUSE compositing is working fine with the open-source driver - the graphics card is some really low grade 128MB card too - so that's impressive.

That's weird. I installed from the DVD, and it automatically intalled the nvidia drivers. I had to do xconfig-nvidia? Anyway, the nvidia drivers were already installed. I also liked the fact that the tv-tuner firmwares were installed by default making getting my tv groove on easy.

I'm almost definitely going towards xfce soon, and it's good that it works great "out of the box". XFCE 4.8 is pretty damn good. It's definitely the new Gnome 2.

XFCE seems to go about things quietly while still in tune. They just recently added ssh and networking things into thunar, which brings it up to "can't miss status". I'm excited for it. If nothing else, xfce has always been stable as anything I've ever used. It's just that I never gave it a serious go. I'll be on xfce for a while...

Philsoki
March 13th, 2011, 07:56 AM
That's weird. I installed from the DVD, and it automatically intalled the nvidia drivers. I had to do xconfig-nvidia? Anyway, the nvidia drivers were already installed. I also liked the fact that the tv-tuner firmwares were installed by default making getting my tv groove on easy.

I'm almost definitely going towards xfce soon, and it's good that it works great "out of the box". XFCE 4.8 is pretty damn good. It's definitely the new Gnome 2.

The only reason I didn't go with xfce from the start was because it's not currently available as a Live CD. I might just have to go buy some blank DVD's and download the full version of openSUSE just for the xfce version.

NightwishFan
March 13th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Try suse studio:
http://susestudio.com/

oboedad55
March 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I think I'm having the same problem as johntaylor1887. I installed openSUSE 11.4 on my main PC just a few minutes ago, it looks really, really nice. And it boots very fast on what I consider to be pretty dismal hardware (Even if it is my main).

Apart from that though I haven't had much time to mess around with it. The nouveau driver has really come around, openSUSE compositing is working fine with the open-source driver - the graphics card is some really low grade 128MB card too - so that's impressive.

Guess I'll mess around and see if I can get wireless working, otherwise openSUSE 11.4 (At least the KDE version) isn't going to meet my needs.

Right now I have a red "x" button on the bottom right of my screen and when I click it and select "Enable networking" and "Enable wireless" the only thing that happens is the "Show hidden networks" thing disappears (In the Connections menu).

Time to mess around...

Same issue here on openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE. Using a wired connection that SUSE claims doesn't exist, yet it still works. Go figure. I like it OK, but find KDE under Mandriva to be quite a bit faster and less bloated-feeling.

Philsoki
March 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I really like the KDE version. But I'm having too much trouble connecting to my wireless and getting my video card to work with the binary driver for it to be worth it. I need to get work done on this machine after all... I gave up and tried out the GNOME version. It's actually pretty nice too... But same problem connecting to my wireless...

And well, without wireless - it's a no go.

Guess it's back to Ubuntu or Mint for me. *Sigh*

:(

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
congrats john.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
okay for many, that have the ability to see networks, but can't connect, turn off kde wallet.

search for it using menu search, turn it off, then try to connect.

edit: also for folks that have to start network manager manually on each start up. open terminal

kdesu kwrite /home/your_username/.kde4/share/config/networkmanagementrc

when text file appears, comment out false and replace with true

it should look similar like this.

[Connection_{b2c61fa7-b24d-43cd-a0e7-6aa4771abceb}]
LastUsed=2011,3,12,23,23,7
Name=linksys
Type=802-11-wireless

[General]
Autostart=true
Connections={b2c61fa7-b24d-43cd-a0e7-6aa4771abceb}

click save when done, close everything.

coffeecat
March 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Just installed the gnome version from the live CD to a spare partition on my laptop. It set up two Windows entries in its grub menu (but no Ubuntu entry - which was half-expected). The first Windows menu entry boots into Windows. The second attempts to boot into the E: data partition and unsurprisingly fails since there is neither an operating system nor boot files there.

Good start! :rolleyes:

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Just installed the gnome version from the live CD to a spare partition on my laptop. It set up two Windows entries in its grub menu (but no Ubuntu entry - which was half-expected). The first Windows menu entry boots into Windows. The second attempts to boot into the E: data partition and unsurprisingly fails since there is neither an operating system nor boot files there.

Good start! :rolleyes:

the options for triple/ quad booting are confusing, i envy the folks that have mastered an opensuse partitioner :lol:

i haven't dual booted in years, when i did, i searched for hours, these days we have google :P

http://www.google.com/search?q=opensuse+triple+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

coffeecat
March 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
the options for triple/ quad booting are confusing, i envy the folks that have mastered an opensuse partitioner :lol:

i haven't dual booted in years, when i did, i searched for hours, these days we have google :P

http://www.google.com/search?q=opensuse+triple+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Thanks for the link, but I'm OK with configuring grub. I just wanted to share one of the silliest things I've seen a Linux distro do for some time. :) In fact, I've now got the Natty grub menu back showing Windows, Lucid, Natty and openSUSE, just the way I like it. And, whaddya know? Ubuntu doesn't set up a grub menu entry for the data partition! :wink:

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
well good luck with that sir coffeecat :)

if i ever decide to quad boot, i'm coming to look for you :lol:

rosswmcgee
March 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Tried for two hours to get the dvd to boot 11.4 to no avail, tried different methods,

tried suse forums, end result nada, never had this problem with Ubuntu and I am not along according to the forums.

PaulW2U
March 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Installed the live CD and I'm posting with the KDE version now.

Looks and feels much better than its Kubuntu counterpart but the main difference that I've noticed is that all the fonts are so much clearer. I even managed to get the sound working which is always a problem with this old PC of mine. I might give this one a proper try-out when I've more time.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
It sounds like you have an issue with your graphics hardware. It is most likely dusty. Use a can of compressed air to clear it out and try KDE again. If that doesn't fix it, I suspect that your graphics hardware is damaged. if that is the case, you will have to run KDE with either compositing disabled or OpenGL software rendering, or buy a new graphics card.

What are you talking about? I never said I was having graphics issues. It's a brand new GT430 card and works great.

No matter which graphics card or computer I've run KDE on, it's always the same old story. Glitch City. Please don't try and change my mind about it. But anyway, opensuse xfce is running perfectly.

Installed the live CD and I'm posting with the KDE version now.

Looks and feels much better than its Kubuntu counterpart but the main difference that I've noticed is that all the fonts are so much clearer.
I've noticed no difference between Kubuntu and OpenSuse. Glitch City.

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I've noticed no difference between Kubuntu and OpenSuse. Glitch City.

the kde thing is exactly that, but depending on the version, in my opinion version 4.5.4 was spot on, but on differen't distributions, it required building.

for example, kubuntu lacked many packages in comparison to opensuse, the reason being, a 700mb vs 4.7gig dvd.

overall opensuse rained supreme, kde is well integrated with it's operating system, kubuntu has to be put together "assembly required"

things like kwallet have a good purpose, security, it's current state i think is buggy, it resembles nagware, i hope it's predecessors continue to improve.

i suspect kde 4.6.2 would be worth grabbing when released, and avoid incremental updates by two's.

yast is incredible with any de, tons of useful tools, many have yet to explore.

yast firewall, active upon installation with rules set in place.

setting up kopete with bonjour can be interesting, especially making the move from ubuntu, and ubuntu being a persons first linux experience.

go into yast firewall and allow bonjour a firewall pass, in advance tab, open ports 5353udp/ 5298tcp, head head to system> system services to start ZeroConf daemon :lol:

for anyone, don't expect to setup a server, ftp, samba etc.. without having to tinker in yast firewall/ system services, but basic web, email, messenging is tweaked by default, so no worries.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
How do I keep the package manager from closing after I install something?

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM

i seen this on a topic before.

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/445753-keep-yast-installer-open.html

mines is set to close, i tend to get every thing at once.

i can agree with you, i sometimes forget packages.

--------------------------------------------------------------

extra documentation for everyone.

here (http://en.opensuse.org//Portal:Documentation)

Shining Arcanine
March 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
What are you talking about? I never said I was having graphics issues. It's a brand new GT430 card and works great.

No matter which graphics card or computer I've run KDE on, it's always the same old story. Glitch City. Please don't try and change my mind about it. But anyway, opensuse xfce is running perfectly.

You said that you have "bad luck with the eye-candy oriented OS's", including Windows. That signals graphics issues.

If KDE runs poorly for you on a decent machine, then you are likely doing something wrong.

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM

curious john, did you work this out?

LADmaticCA
March 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Well...had opensuse 11.4 installed and running great for a while then I adjusted my samba settings with yast, rebooted, now X will not start. Somehow the permissions got changed on xorg. It starts now that I've changed permissions but it will not autostart and I have lost networking. Disappointing cause I was enjoying this release.

johntaylor1887
March 14th, 2011, 03:26 AM
You said that you have "bad luck with the eye-candy oriented OS's", including Windows. That signals graphics issues.

If KDE runs poorly for you on a decent machine, then you are likely doing something wrong.

I didn't mean that graphics was the problem. I meant that I found them glitchy, as in poorly put together. I may have worded it wrongly. I can assure you that graphics run perfectly.

And yes inobe, I solved the package manager issue. Thanks for the link. So far I'm loving this release of opensuse with xfce.

johntaylor1887
March 14th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Well, I guess it was too good to be true. All of a sudden, the min/max/close buttons disappeared on all of the windows, and network manager won't load at boot. Oh well. I may try to fix it, not sure yet. But I still have ubuntu running perfectly, so not too worried.

HermanAB
March 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Well, I have 7 servers that run OpenSuse. It is pretty good and I will probably try the latest version on something. However, I don't use Suse for my personal machines.

andymorton
March 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I would try it but Novell jumping into bed with Microsoft puts me off.

NightwishFan
March 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I would try it but Novell jumping into bed with Microsoft puts me off.

Rubbish! There never was any problems. :) The opensuse community seems amazing also.

koleoptero
March 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I downloaded it yesterday and tried to install it via usb stick, but unetbootin failed miserably. I might try again today.

scouser73
March 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM
No, because I've asked for help in their forums once when I had OpenSUSE and the response, if you can call it that, was terrible.

inobe
March 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
No, because I've asked for help in their forums once when I had OpenSUSE and the response, if you can call it that, was terrible.

the forums are great, if you ask questions wile producing the correct information, the answers are 99% spot on :)

the only problem i had there were reponses on multimedia issues, that cli/ gui ordeal, like if i wanted a script, i would ask for one :lol:

DestroiTe
March 15th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Gotta tell you guys... I've never had a Linux PC. I used openSUSE at college, and said to myself that when i bought a laptop I would install it. Well, I just did.

I was really shocked that everything worked fine. Except, like many of you, the wireless card. So I went out looking and eventually discovered that I was supposed to compile the drivers and install it. Well, I said, let's do this. After, I dunno, maybe 5 hours of googling (remember that this is my first Linux PC, like, EVER!) I manage to do it.

I just think that, despite the fact that installing libraries and other basic software is actually pretty easy on Suse, at least gcc and make should be default installed.

The past 2 days I've been using and loving it. Didn't even miss Windows 7. I find that the little problems, like the wireless thing, was actually fun to solve. Am I getting Linux crazy or something? ;)

So yeah, I'm trully and utterly impressed with Linux.

piquat
March 15th, 2011, 06:19 AM
My experience?

Everything but wireless works. Common I suppose. Haven't had much time to poke at it. Seems as though it SHOULD have worked OOTB, according to the documentation. I may need to dump all the settings and blacklist a few things.

KDE, while slow, seems to work alright on this five year old laptop (Inspiron 1501).

Oh well, it's a nice little puzzle to tinker with, and I have a usable OS in the mean time. No worries.

Philsoki
March 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Gotta tell you guys... I've never had a Linux PC. I used openSUSE at college, and said to myself that when i bought a laptop I would install it. Well, I just did.

I was really shocked that everything worked fine. Except, like many of you, the wireless card. So I went out looking and eventually discovered that I was supposed to compile the drivers and install it. Well, I said, let's do this. After, I dunno, maybe 5 hours of googling (remember that this is my first Linux PC, like, EVER!) I manage to do it.

I just think that, despite the fact that installing libraries and other basic software is actually pretty easy on Suse, at least gcc and make should be default installed.

The past 2 days I've been using and loving it. Didn't even miss Windows 7. I find that the little problems, like the wireless thing, was actually fun to solve. Am I getting Linux crazy or something? ;)

Damn it. I'm going to have to give it another go soon and just get wireless working. I know it's possible so there's no excuse once I have time! (Just need to wait for mid-semester break...)

KegHead
March 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hi!

I might try it.

Depends on what happens w/unity.

KegHead

DestroiTe
March 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Damn it. I'm going to have to give it another go soon and just get wireless working. I know it's possible so there's no excuse once I have time! (Just need to wait for mid-semester break...)

Nah, if I could do it with a few hours, you can too. My laptop uses a Realtek 8191SERevB chip, and luckily Realtek has drivers for it on their website. Do an lspci to see if your card was recognized, and if it was, just try looking for the drivers.

youbuntu
March 15th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I'm always interested in new OS' - will have to give it a whirl :-)

gzenitsky
March 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Yep...this is exactly what I love about Linux myself. It brings back the "good ole days" of computing for me when I had ownership in a large part of the experience and could change and control multiple aspects of the computing environment. It is a lot of fun to me and at my age, learning new things keeps my mind sharp and alive.

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
been giving KDE a try lately and this opensuse experiment was a fail for me. Probably my fault not knowing yast or how to get the proprietary nvidia drivers going, wireless issues etc. Fonts look bad too.

So far, by far, the best KDE I have used in my KDE search has been PCLinuxOS. It just looks great and works...

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM
been giving KDE a try lately and this opensuse experiment was a fail for me. Probably my fault not knowing yast or how to get the proprietary nvidia drivers going, wireless issues etc. Fonts look bad too.

So far, by far, the best KDE I have used in my KDE search has been PCLinuxOS. It just looks great and works...

go into yast> select software repositories> select add> tick community repositories> hit next> select nvidia repository.

close that, now go software management> click installation summary tab> hit accept.

fonts and wireless i can answer too, even ics, but i know nothing of that system.

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 05:50 AM
go into yast> select software repositories> select add> tick community repositories> hit next> select nvidia repository.

close that, now go software management> click installation summary tab> hit accept.

fonts and wireless i can answer too, even ics, but i know nothing of that system.

Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

I tried the one click nvidia install method and the kernel used isn't matching the nvidia kernel drivers or something like that.

I was doing this during a sleepless hour at 2 am....I will give it another go, but may just try again from a clean install.

I got the wireless working....

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

I tried the one click nvidia install method and the kernel used isn't matching the nvidia kernel drivers or something like that.

I was doing this during a sleepless hour at 2 am....I will give it another go, but may just try again from a clean install.

I got the wireless working....

yeah, you probably disabled kwallet?

not sure if you chose kde or gnome, just assuming so.

there are two ways for wireless, traditional ifup, a bit complicated, and network manager, very easy.

with network manager and that kwallet, things can get interesting.

i just turn off kwallet, it nags me, although it offers an additional layer of security, i think it needs work.

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 06:21 AM
yeah, you probably disabled kwallet?

not sure if you chose kde or gnome, just assuming so.

there are two ways for wireless, traditional ifup, a bit complicated, and network manager, very easy.

with network manager and that kwallet, things can get interesting.

i just turn off kwallet, it nags me, although it offers an additional layer of security, i think it needs work.

It was actually probably just a bit dumb on my part. Network applet was just a red scquare with a white X.

I had to go into Yast, netowrk services, globabl options and change to user defined? Something close to that. Just another not knowing YAST issue....

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 06:26 AM
then you must be using gnome, i don't recall any of those settings.

i haven't toyed with gnome in some years, but the directions in yast for the nvidia repo should be spot on.

enjoy.

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 06:27 AM
It's KDE...

johntaylor1887
March 17th, 2011, 06:31 AM
It was actually probably just a bit dumb on my part. Network applet was just a red scquare with a white X.

I had to go into Yast, netowrk services, globabl options and change to user defined? Something close to that. Just another not knowing YAST issue....

Yeah, I thought OpenSuse would be network ready. And yeah, I know it works for a lot of people. I'm getting too old to care anymore.

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8697/network1.jpg

select network settings.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8981/network2.jpg

several step process in yast, more than likely ifup is always selected unless the device isn't configured, in this case, it needs configured first before switching to network manager.

to accomplish this is simple.

first tick ifup> hit overview tab> select wireless, it will say not configured> hit edit> hit hardware tab> is a module listed there?

if yes, hit next, it may ask to install iw, allow it, go back to global options tab, select network manager instead of ifup.

hit ok, now in kde menu, search network manger, select it to start.

configure your wireless, done.

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 07:01 AM
It was just perplexing since it worked flawlessly in the live cd.

I will tinker more tonight.

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
have fun :)

Yeah, I thought OpenSuse would be network ready. And yeah, I know it works for a lot of people. I'm getting too old to care anymore.

hey john, i'm kinda up there myself, it's just i'm an opensuse vet, i played with it since 9.0, it's only that, that gets me around some of the quirks.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I might get a cd to install in virtualbox. I think I will try the KDE.

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I might get a cd to install in virtualbox. I think I will try the KDE.

the cd is a great way to start, but it doesn't compare to the dvd, if you have the bandwidth, get the dvd.

with the cd, you will end up with huge updates, the system needs to be built.

with the dvd you get all the extras a cd doesn't have, also an ability to repair the system with the dvd if something goes wrong, it also contains many apps, so if you have a bandwidth limit, you can get your apps from the dvd, sort of like apt on cd, or whatever that is:P

example, during the dvd install, you can select between a variety of packages on left panel!

image is old but similar, i usually select kde dev, linux kernel dev etc encase i want to compile some stuff, or i would select laptop in the list to get apps specific to my hardware.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I am ok. I am a SUSE veteran. :)

DestroiTe
March 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Yep...this is exactly what I love about Linux myself. It brings back the "good ole days" of computing for me when I had ownership in a large part of the experience and could change and control multiple aspects of the computing environment. It is a lot of fun to me and at my age, learning new things keeps my mind sharp and alive.

Yeah, nowadays somethings are so easy that part of the fun was just lost. I mean, it's wonderful when you just want things to work, but sometimes, the "computer experience" should be more then just that. For me, as I'm currently undergraduating in Software Engineering, learning new things is not just fun, it's a necessity.

I liked KDEWallet. Sometimes I'm almost tempted to mark "remember my password" but... Security first.