PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is there a way to reinstall Linux entirely using the command line?

acablue
March 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My computer is a netbook with no optical drive. I had a friend bring over an external CD drive to burn the live CD, but I don't have that now. Since then, I've messed up my install beyond easy repair, so I was wondering if there was a simple (or perhaps not so simple) command that would reinstall every package from the software repositories (I do have access to the Internet, just no GUI). I'm talking about a clean install here.

Hedgehog1
March 10th, 2011, 09:26 AM
acablue,

Googled for "Reinstall Ubuntu From Command Line", and multiple sites say do this one line:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a

They say it takes about an hour to run.

The Hedge

:KS

p.s. Consider creating an Unstall USB to fall back on next time: www.pendrivelinux.com (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/category/usb-installs-from-linux/)

acablue
March 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hrm, this is what I get instead:

dpkg-maintscript-helper: error: couldn't identify the package

I'm almost positive the original problem has something to do with my proprietary nVidia drivers. Uninstalled them, reinstalled them, to no avail.

I give up. I'm making a bootable USB stick.

Thanks for the tip, Hedgehog1.

Hedgehog1
March 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Doctor Hedge recommends:

Take one Ubuntu-On-A-Stick! and call me in the morning.

The Hedge

p.s. I am not a real doctor. In fact, I am not a real hedgehog, either. My whole on-line life is a lie....

:KS