PDA

View Full Version : doom 3 sound crackling

Beire
February 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hi,

Today i installed doom 3 on my ubuntu desktop pc only the sound is driving me nuts. It has this irritating crackling in it. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Also i seem to be losing quite a lot of performance in comparison to windows.
My fps are a lot lower in ubuntu.

I'm running a:

Amd 64bit 3200+
Asus K8V Deluxe
768mb of ram
GF6800GT

jdodson
February 26th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Hi,

Today i installed doom 3 on my ubuntu desktop pc only the sound is driving me nuts. It has this irritating crackling in it. I don't know what could be causing this problem.

Also i seem to be losing quite a lot of performance in comparison to windows.
My fps are a lot lower in ubuntu.

I'm running a:

Amd 64bit 3200+
Asus K8V Deluxe
768mb of ram
GF6800GT

did you upgrade with the latest patch? the latest patch fixes some sound and performance problems.

ante0
February 26th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Hi, i've gone from Vector Linux to Gentoo to Ubuntu (Cant complie any programs in ubuntu...) well, i would recommend using wine just because its free. Ive tried to download a free version of cedega, but i didnt find any. so Wine if you have a fast computer. I almost got Age of Empires working, except that some of the fonts didnt work =)

jdodson
February 26th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Hi, i've gone from Vector Linux to Gentoo to Ubuntu (Cant complie any programs in ubuntu...) well, i would recommend using wine just because its free. Ive tried to download a free version of cedega, but i didnt find any. so Wine if you have a fast computer. I almost got Age of Empires working, except that some of the fonts didnt work =)

you would recommend using wine over the native doom3 program? i am curious what your reasoning is for this?

darkoptix
February 26th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Try turning off surround sound in the options. I had a similar problem, and turning that off fixed it.

Beire
February 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM
new patch and turning surround sound off didn't help. Any other suggestions ?

DJ_Max
February 26th, 2005, 11:03 PM
May I ask why you can't compile programs in Ubuntu? Also, the free versions of Cedega can be found in the CVS.

ante0
March 30th, 2005, 02:31 PM
first of all I got Ubuntu working( didnt know you had to install "install-essentials" package... ) Secondly i wrote that about me going between distros just to point out that not all distros work with your hardware, mostly it does but not always.
And to the third thing, i now know that the CVS version of cedega is free. =)

ante0
March 30th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Actually I dont even know why I wrote in this thread... No one even mentioned Wine, or whatever windows emulator you should use.
I'm sorry!

Whiffle
March 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Try turning down the PCM control in your sound card, whenever I put mine above 80 or so it always cracks my sound.

I ran the native doom3 in linux and it ran better than the windows version in windows...