PDA

View Full Version : The great netbook search

PatrickMoore
March 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I think I have determined the perfect netbook for my needs at this point. I am looking at the Toshiba Mini nb505 netbook. I am looking for anyone who has experience with toshiba net books or netbooks in general to give me some insight as to whether or not this is good in terms of linux compatability. the specs are as follows

Product Height1.4"
Product Width10.3"
Product Weight2.9 lbs.
Product Depth7.5"
Processor BrandIntel®
ProcessorIntel® Atom™
Processor Speed1.66GHz
Battery Type6-cell lithium-ion
Display TypeWidescreen WSVGA LED-backlit with TruBrite technology (1024 x 600)
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)10.1"
System Bus:800MHz
Cache Memory:512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM)1GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To2GB
Type of Memory (RAM)DDR2
Hard Drive Type:SATA (5400 rpm)
Computer Hard Drive Size:250GB
Optical Drive:Not included
Direct-Disc Labeling:No
Digital Media Reader or Slots:Yes, digital media card reader
Graphics:Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
Video Memory:Up to 250MB dynamically allocated shared
TV Tuner:No
MPEG:No
Built-in Webcam:Yes
Modem:None
Networking:Built-in 10/100 Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking:Wireless-B+G+N
Bluetooth-Enabled:No
S-Video Outputs:None
Speakers:Internal
PCMCIA Slots:None
USB 2.0 Ports:3
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports:None
Parallel Ports:None
Game Ports:None
Laptop Weight:Ultraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
Battery Life:Up to 8 hours and 21 minutes
Pointing Device:Multitouch touchpad
HDMI Output:No
Blu-ray Player:No
Operating System:Windows 7 Starter
Included Software:Adobe Acrobat Reader and more
ENERGY STAR Qualified:Yes
Best Buy PC App:No
Graphics Chip:Intel
Drive Capacity:250GB
Graphics Card:Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

I cant think of anything negative about this setup with the exception of no bluetooth capability but I currently dont use bluetooth to its potential so that may be a non issue. any input would be appreciated

Chronon
March 10th, 2011, 06:36 AM
It looks fairly comparable to my Eee PC 1015PEB. It's hard to judge compatibility for sure without knowing what chipset is used in the wireless chip, for example.

Regarding bluetooth, you can pick up a USB dongle for under $20 if you find yourself missing it.

I'm pretty happy with this netbook. All of the hardware seems to "just work".

johntaylor1887
March 10th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Like Chronon, I can only speak for the netbook I have, which is an Acer Aspire One. Everything works perfectly as if it were made specifically for linux. (webcam, mic, etc.) I hope someone else can help you better if you are dead-set on using Toshiba.

cariboo
March 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM
It would help if you could find out what wireless and graphics chipset it has. I have a Compaq Mini 110, with similar specs, and everything works, I've run Lucid, Maverick, and it currently is running Natty with zero problems.

johntaylor1887
March 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
After a second glance of the Toshiba netbook specs, I don't see any reason why linux wouldn't work. Everything pretty much seems standard as far as hardware. I personally, would have the confidence to buy it and install linux on it.

PatrickMoore
March 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I am personally not opposed to buying an Asus eeepc or an Aces Aspire one. In fact I have been looking into both, I like Asus but am turned off by the less than favorable reviews in regards to service and durability. and I like Acer but I am hardpressed to find a model at a brick and mortar store that has a 6 cell battery. I know my girlfriends Satellite has been amazing and runs Mint 10 flawlessly. and I refuse to buy another HP Compaq product

The first net book I liked that I looked at was an Asus eeePc 1015PE-BBK603
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+/+Intel&%23174%3B+Atom&%23153%3B+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+-+Black/1222971.p?id=1218237710153&skuId=1222971&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx

but seems a little less powerful(Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing considering that my whole reason for considering a netbook is to focus more on school and not let my mind wander)

uRock
March 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I am personally not opposed to buying an Asus eeepc or an Aces Aspire one. In fact I have been looking into both, I like Asus but am turned off by the less than favorable reviews in regards to service and durability. and I like Acer but I am hardpressed to find a model at a brick and mortar store that has a 6 cell battery. I know my girlfriends Satellite has been amazing and runs Mint 10 flawlessly. and I refuse to buy another HP Compaq product
+1 My Asus has the worst wireless quality that I have ever seen. Whether in Windows or Ubuntu I have to be within 20' of the router in order to connect, whereas my HP can be out on the other side of my property and get a great connection.

fuduntu
March 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM

The first net book I liked that I looked at was an Asus eeePc 1015PE-BBK603
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+/+Intel&%23174%3B+Atom&%23153%3B+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+-+Black/1222971.p?id=1218237710153&skuId=1222971&cmp=RMX&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx

but seems a little less powerful(Which I suppose isn't necessarily a bad thing considering that my whole reason for considering a netbook is to focus more on school and not let my mind wander)

FYI don't buy a laptop or netbook from BestBuy, they often contract out for customized versions of particular models that feature smaller batteries and slower processors for the same price of a similar device from Amazon or another more reputable company.

My next netbook will probably be the ASUS Eee PC 1015PEM-PU17 (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PEM-PU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0042TYYI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299863942&sr=8-1).

Paqman
March 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
+1 My Asus has the worst wireless quality that I have ever seen. Whether in Windows or Ubuntu I have to be within 20' of the router in order to connect, whereas my HP can be out on the other side of my property and get a great connection.

So you've got a faulty wifi card or antenna, surely? Slap a new one in, they're cheap.

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Toshiba isn't a good idea for linux + netbook:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/110784

uRock
March 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
So you've got a faulty wifi card or antenna, surely? Slap a new one in, they're cheap.
In a netbook? I chalk it up as a lesson learned on buying Asus products.

HermanAB
March 11th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Howdy,

Toshiba, Sony and Linux do not go well together.

If I were you, I would go for Lenovo, HP, Acer or Asus, not Toshiba.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I am personally not opposed to buying an Asus eeepc or an Aces Aspire one. In fact I have been looking into both, I like Asus but am turned off by the less than favorable reviews in regards to service and durability.

Acer over Asus? Really? In terms of build quality and durability? I don't want to get into Ford vs. Chevy here, but ....

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Acer

Acer is a sub of Gateway if I recall. I've heard mixed signals from Gateway.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
They're eMachines.

Edit: Which is now itself owned by Gateway. I suck at this.

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
They're eMachines.

Edit: Which is now itself owned by Gateway. I suck at this.

lol. Not really.

It went like this: Gateway bought eMachines; then Acer bought Gateway.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
So I had it completely backwards. Now it makes sense, but now knowing that, the bit a year ago or so where Acer released a single eMachines-branded netbook becomes some kind of high concept art.

PatrickMoore
March 11th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I just saw that Asus netbook this morning(1015pem)I am quite fond of it. HP is out of the question for me simply because I have had extremely poor experiences with the two previous laptops I have owned. Acer I know little about I am merely reading reviews on the individual netbooks that I am considering. and Lenovo is something I have not researched at this point although I was seriously considering a Lenovo laptop prior to my decision to go the netbook & desktop route. seems like something worth considering.
The other thing that I am considering is whether or not to run a netbook centric os (Jolicloud) or a full featured os (Arch) although I still feel comfortable with Ubuntu over Arch I just want pure efficiency

Shibblet
March 11th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I just recently purchased a Dell Mini 1012 (Refurbished) for $249.95 directly from the Dell Outlet.

I threw Maverick on it, and it worked like a charm. All drivers functional right out of the box.

Make sure you get the green one though, the green one works great! :P

Paqman
March 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM

No more difficult than doing the same in a laptop. The only hard part is disassembling the case, and there's videos all over the net to show you how.

It could be something as simple as the antenna coming unclipped from the card. Worth a look anyway, since the device is a bit useless without functional wifi.

uRock
March 11th, 2011, 07:39 PM
No more difficult than doing the same in a laptop. The only hard part is disassembling the case, and there's videos all over the net to show you how.

It could be something as simple as the antenna coming unclipped from the card. Worth a look anyway, since the device is a bit useless without functional wifi.
I'll give it a look on a day when I am feeling patient. Last time I took a laptop apart it had a bad ending.

PatrickMoore
March 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I'll give it a look on a day when I am feeling patient. Last time I took a laptop apart it had a bad ending.

It's never a fun endeavor. I still can't find most of my screws for the housing

fuduntu
March 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM

It could just be an issue of needing to turn up the radio power using iwconfig.

fuduntu
March 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
It's never a fun endeavor. I still can't find most of my screws for the housing

I keep them ordered by section, and will often tape them together so they don't get lost.

I did that when I modded the frankenstein laptop that now belongs to my son - http://www.fewt.com/2008/07/frankentop-gets-game-port.html

johntaylor1887
March 11th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Most times you can just open up the back of the netbook, and replace the mini pci-e wireless card. Not too hard to do.

PatrickMoore
March 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I am quickly becoming super organized so I learn from that mistake and start separating

ganglian
March 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I just recently purchased a Dell Mini 1012 (Refurbished) for $249.95 directly from the Dell Outlet.

I threw Maverick on it, and it worked like a charm. All drivers functional right out of the box.

Make sure you get the green one though, the green one works great! :P

I have a gateway something something, and everything has worked from 9.x through 10.10, and I invested in a usb bluetooth thngy and it detected and I can tether my phone to, still trying to figure out how to BT files, not that I care, the phone can send to my email account.

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a gateway something something, and everything has worked from 9.x through 10.10, and I invested in a usb bluetooth thngy and it detected and I can tether my phone to, still trying to figure out how to BT files, not that I care, the phone can send to my email account.

this here (http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/10/howto-send-and-recieve-files-over-bluetooth-with-ubuntu-linux.html) might help your predicament.

JDShu
March 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My next netbook will probably be the ASUS Eee PC 1015PEM-PU17 (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PEM-PU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0042TYYI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299863942&sr=8-1).

I got this recently, so far its perfect.

fuduntu
March 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I got this recently, so far its perfect.

I compared a large number of netbooks and determined that I'd be best served to stick with the Eee PC models since they are so well supported. This will be my third.

I also looked into the HP dm1z, and the Alienware M11 but I couldn't find enough data on them to guarantee that they would be 100% compatible.

I thought about the 1015PN but without working optimus support, bleh.

PatrickMoore
March 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I compared a large number of netbooks and determined that I'd be best served to stick with the Eee PC models since they are so well supported. This will be my third.

I also looked into the HP dm1z, and the Alienware M11 but I couldn't find enough data on them to guarantee that they would be 100% compatible.

I think I am going with the same netbook the specs are fantastic on this and would be more than sufficient for what I need it for

Shepherd X
March 14th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I was interested in the same Toshiba NB505. Does anyone know if the intel integrated graphics works out of the box? Also, what about the mic/cam? Are the speakers good quality for listening to music?

coolbrook
March 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I've wanted a Netbook for a long time. I decided to hold out for one with the AMD Fusion processor.

walt.smith1960
March 14th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I've wanted a Netbook for a long time. I decided to hold out for one with the AMD Fusion processor.

I'm feeling lustful for the ThinkPad X120e. Unfortunately I'm also feeling poor.:cry: I've had excellent success with ThinkPad compatibility & durability in the past. I also like the "eraserhead" trackpoint pointer, a sentiment which is not universally shared but universally doesn't have to use it so there:). I did start a thread a couple weeks ago asking about others' experiences and got some responses. I sorta gather Natty might be a good choice for that generation of machines.

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The ASUS 1015PE is pretty good; and I don't know about any optimus, and I probably don't even need to know. If you just use it for what a netbook is supposed to do, I doubt it's needed.

Don't use unity-3d though, it can cause system lock-ups depending on what you do.

jerrylamos
March 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
The ASUS 1015PE is pretty good; and I don't know about any optimus, and I probably don't even need to know. If you just use it for what a netbook is supposed to do, I doubt it's needed.

Don't use unity-3d though, it can cause system lock-ups depending on what you do.

Unity 3D on Natty 11.04 running fine (for an Alpha) on Acer Aspire one. It cost $248 at Wall Mart. Screen is 1024x600 and is O.K. for me expeically with Unity 3D full screen - gives me all the screen with no panel borders.

It's got 1 GB of memory and 250 GB hard drive which I have split between Wincoze 7 and Ubuntu. I've kept ******* 7 for now because of some proprietary goodies that Acer provided.

I run Natty & Maverick also on a USB hard drive. It's a left over laptop hard drive in an inexpensive USB case.

Screen response & usability quite quick and satisfying. Can't say the same in ******* 7 mode....

Enjoy.

Jerry

kitcarson61
March 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Take a look at...

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/smartbook.htm

Designed for and built with Linux.

mtron
March 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM

the 1015pn is not a "normal" Optimus Laptop. This model has seperate hardware muxes for intel and nvidia to the display device, so both chips can be used with ubuntu.

Only drawback is that there is currently a reboot required to switch between the gpu's but this might change soon (so a xorg restart might be enough).

Also this Gsoc proposal sounds promising. http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2011/03/promising-prospects-for-linux-hybrid.html

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
the 1015pn is not a "normal" Optimus Laptop. This model has seperate hardware muxes for intel and nvidia to the display device, so both chips can be used with ubuntu.

Only drawback is that there is currently a reboot required to switch between the gpu's but this might change soon (so a xorg restart might be enough).

Also this Gsoc proposal sounds promising. http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2011/03/promising-prospects-for-linux-hybrid.html

I like the PN model, but from what I have been reading it still seems to benchmark at around the same battery life using the Intel or NVidia adapter. The battery benchmarks are a little older now, perhaps new firmware has fixed it but that's what led me away from it. I don't want a netbook with 5 hours of battery life, I need 9-13 myself.

If anyone knows of better battery life with the 1015PN in Intel mode, I'd love to hear about it.

mtron
March 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
dunno where you read this but it's totally wrong.

I have the european 1015pn model (with 2 gig ram & the 6 cell battery, in other parts of the world asus equips them with only 1 gig ram and a pretty weak 4 cell battery... no idea why asus does something like this...)

Battery lifetime with the intel gpu is 7 - 8 hours normal usage, nvidia lasts only 3-4 hours.

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
dunno where you read this but it's totally wrong.

I have the european 1015pn model (with 2 gig ram & the 6 cell battery, in other parts of the world asus equips them with only 1 gig ram and a pretty weak 4 cell battery... no idea why asus does something like this...)

Battery lifetime with the intel gpu is 7 - 8 hours normal usage, nvidia lasts only 3-4 hours.

That's cool. Here is my source:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1015pem.aspx?mode=benchmarks&cids=1411%2C2489%2C2334%2Cpa

If it doesn't show for you, scroll to the bottom and add the 1015pn to the list. I think the other PN you are thinking is probably the model built for companies here in the states like Best Buy, those don't normally get reviewed (but I guess it does happen sometimes).

I'm leaning towards the 1015PEM for battery life alone.

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have the Asus with the 6-cell battery and it will easily go more than 8 hours on one charging.

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have the Asus with the 6-cell battery and it will easily go more than 8 hours on one charging.

Which Asus?

jhargis1012
March 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I have a Toshiba nb205 (basically the older of the same machine). It works excellent. Out of the box, Ubuntu recognized the wireless and everything. Had some strange performance issues at first, but those were magically fixed with an update right after the install. I am having some problems with connecting to my router right now, actually, but I'm almost certain it is because my router has gone bad (my phone doesn't like it either, so it's not just the netbook). Anyway, I would think you'd fare really well with that netbook and Linux.

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
which asus?

1005hab

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
1005hab

Gotchya. Yeah, my 1000HE gets 9.5 - 10.

mtron
March 17th, 2011, 05:13 PM
That's cool. Here is my source:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1015pem.aspx?mode=benchmarks&cids=1411%2C2489%2C2334%2Cpa

well obviously those tests were run on windows so they tell nothing really interesting about linux usage and are pretty ****** (also the figures given for windows are not true).

I would not base my buying decision on those flawed results... If battery life is your priority stay away from N550 (thats why the 1015pn draws more power) atoms and Optimus gpu configurations.

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
well obviously those tests were run on windows so they tell nothing really interesting about linux usage and are pretty ****** (also the figures given for windows are not true).

I would not base my buying decision on those flawed results... If battery life is your priority stay away from N550 (thats why the 1015pn draws more power) atoms and Optimus gpu configurations.

The 1015PEM is rated at 13 hours using an N550. I use the Windows usage as a general guideline, I know (better than most) how to tune Linux for battery life. :D

The 1015PN draws more power because of the NVidia ION, the N550 uses 8.5W at max draw, but that also includes the draw of the Intel integrated graphics on the die.

What I was trying to understand with the PN model was why the power draw was so high with the ION disabled. Most likely a firmware problem on an older model used in that test.

I would like to see real world stats though with powertop, and Jupiter.

Welly Wu
March 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I too own a Toshiba nb205-N310/BN. I did install Ubuntu 9.10 GNU/Linux on it and most of the hardware was instantly installed properly. However, the suspend and hibernate features did not work without modifications. The Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR feature needed to be disabled while using the 802.11 B/G Wi-Fi radio at the same time whereas both worked fine together in Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 at that time.

Toshiba's support of GNU/Linux is not terrific. You will wind up here on Ubuntu Forums doing arcane searches trying to solve specific problems quite frequently.

Why don't you consider purchasing a System76 Starling Netbook? It retails for $385.00 USD with a 3 cell Lithium Ion battery which you can upgrade to a 6 cell Lithium Ion battery for just $59.00 USD more. If you did buy it, then you will be supporting an Ubuntu vendor and Canonical would be supported as well.

I decided to do a system recovery and restore the original Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP-3 back onto my Toshiba NB205-N310/BN because there were too many major things that did not work well in Ubuntu such as Bluetooth and the suspend along with hibernate features. I would not recommend that you purchase the Toshiba NB505 and install Ubuntu on it as you will undoubtedly experience a lot of headaches in trying to make everything work right out of the box.