PDA

View Full Version : Android app programming languages

t0p
March 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
What programming language(s) are most Android apps written in?

jerenept
March 9th, 2011, 06:26 PM
What programming language(s) are most Android apps written in?

Java AFAIK.

Johnce
March 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM
http://developer.android.com/index.html

Developer pages

t0p
March 9th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Thank'ee kindly, kind sirs/misses/inbetweeners.

linuxsyst
March 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The Android kernel is programmed in c,c++ and is a Linux based os. You can program apps for Android in most languages now: c++, c, and ruby just to name a few. Most choose java since google has pushed it enough and made it simple.

Java is certainly the most widely-used and most supported by Google, but more and more compilers and VMs are emerging. For example, the MonoDroid project is working on a Mono VM for apps written in C#.

cap10Ibraim
March 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
i installed the android sdk on lucid it worked perfectly
but the device emulator is slow (very slow)

Cavsfan
March 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
A friend just showed me his Android phone and told me it was based on Linux.
Now there's some good news! And it is the most popular smart phone in the US.
:guitar:

t0p
March 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM
A friend of mine is a big fan of Androidy stuff. She has two Android phones (one for each ear I guess... though she has indicated that she may give me one - oh frabjous day! callooh! callay! - she also recently bought a 7-inch "no name" Android tablet, which she has left round my place for me to play with. I haven't had opportunity yet to do more than watch the green robot dancing, but I am intrigued by the whole Android phenomenon. Is this how Linux is going to "break out" into the "big time"?

Anyway, it was this friend who asked me what language(s) Android apps are written in. She loves the things! It's so funny watching her arguing with her boyfriend's brother about whose phone is best: her android(s) or his iPhone. He's already fallen back onto the claim that "the iPhone costs more so it must be better."

leef
March 10th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Why not use the standard android sdk? It suits most people although it had some math/precision problems with me :(.

kevin11951
March 10th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Can you write Android apps with Python?

3rdalbum
March 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Can you write Android apps with Python?

I think there is a Python implementation for Android, but you can't put Python apps on the Market.

I love Google App Inventor, but it's a bit limited in what it can do. Still, well worth signing up for the beta program if you can't be bothered programming a GUI or don't know any programming languages. Unfortunately you still can't put App Inventor apps on the Market either; when Google makes this work, I'll immediately start thinking of some ideas for useful programs!

BrokenKingpin
March 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Java for the most part, but I like the looks of MonoDroid (as I prefer C# to Java).