PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal message with JAVA install

tkokkinos
March 9th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I checked the forums but did not find this ... sorry if I missed it.

I have been having sporadic problems installing files from the Ubuntu Software Center, specifically JAVA and it's components. This is my second install of UBUNTU 10.04, the first was very successful. The hard drive died a sudden death and I had to reinstall on a new drive from a downloaded ISO image.

When I tried to install the JAVA from Software Center, it claims that it installed successfully. This has to be a mistake. Trying several times, I can never use it because when trying to install OpenOffice database, it wants to know where JAVA jre is installed and it cannot be found.

I then remove it through the Software Center, go to JAVA on-line and directly install through the terminal using sudo, etc. It goes fine, then the terminal gets stuck in this "DOS" looking configure screen where I cannot click on the <OK> because it is obviously not a true link.

I did not have this problem first go-around with Ubuntu and this is really frustrating me. I tried to attached a .bmp screen shot from the terminal to illustrate but this server keeps crashing. When I close the terminal it says that a process is still running. The first time I got this, I let it run for hours but nothing happened.

I feel really stupid ... can somebody help me?

Thanks,
Ted Kokenos

bapoumba
March 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM
<Tab> will get you to the <OK> part. Hit <Enter> then :)