PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove Windows Partition

seanksg
March 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hi all,

I have recently decided to switch to linux as my primary OS. I currently have Windows XP installed on the larger partition on my machine. Is there a way that I can delete the XP partition, or at least re-allocate the majority of my space over to the Ubuntu side without reinstalling?

Thanks.

-Sean

mörgæs
March 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yes, using Gparted you just delete the ******* partition, and after that you can increase the Ubuntu partition to use the free space.

I have never had problems with Gparted, but still it is a good idea to back up your most important files.

seanksg
March 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the help!

seanksg
March 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry, thought that would have done it. But I'm having trouble resizing the Ubuntu partition. I'm running from the live CD right now in order to be able to edit it, but it won't let me allocate more space to the Ubuntu partition than it already has (about 30Gb). Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Sean

seanksg
March 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I tried copying the partition to the unallocated space, but now I can't delete the original. It gives me the error "Unable to delete /dev/sda5! Please unmount any logical partitions having a number higher than 5.

Currently, my partitions are as follows:
copy of /dev/sda5 ext4 26.84 GiB
unallocated unallocated 178.01 GiB
/dev/sda2 extended 28.04 GiB
/dev/sda5 ext4 26.84 GiB
/dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.20 GiB

*Note that sda5 and sda6 are both subsidiary to sda2 (according to GParted)

I tried using the unmount command from the terminal on sda2, sda5, and sda6, but each time I got the message "umount: /dev/sdaX: not mounted"

The command I used was: "sudo umount /dev/sdaX" where x was either 2, 5, or 6.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Sean

seanksg
March 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Sorry again, just realized that the "not mounted" message I got meant that the disk had been unmounted. Thanks for all the help.

-Sean

Hedgehog1
March 10th, 2011, 11:03 AM
copy of /dev/sda5 ext4 26.84 GiB
unallocated unallocated 178.01 GiB
/dev/sda2 extended 28.04 GiB
/dev/sda5 ext4 26.84 GiB

Sean,

Please don't copy partitions. What you want is to end up like this:

/dev/sda2 extended 230.04 GiB
/dev/sda5 ext4 228.84 GiB

To do this, boot off of the LiveCD, select try and run gparted.

1) Delete the copied partition.
2) Highlight the 'swap' partition, right click and select 'swapoff' if it is showing.
3) Then, move/extend sda2 from the to fill all the disk space at the begining of the disk.
4) Then, move/extend sda5 to fill the space in sda2
5) Highlight the 'swap' partition, right click and select 'swapon' if it is showing.

Your done.

seanksg
March 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the help hedgehog!