PDA

View Full Version : Do you raise your keyboard flaps for typing?

brawnypandora0
March 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Does this 3/4 inch increase of height make any ergonomic difference?

ki4jgt
March 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Sometimes. . . Sometimes not.

uRock
March 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Yes.

mmsmc
March 9th, 2011, 07:17 AM
everytime

Windows Nerd
March 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Does this 3/4 inch increase of height make any ergonomic difference?

I don't know about ergonomics, but it puts the keys at the intended typing angle. Keyboards always seem sturdier too when they have the flaps down. I always have the flaps down. It messes me up otherwise because the keys are at a funny angle.

nmaster
March 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
maybe I type in a weird way, or maybe i've gotten too comfortable with a laptop, but putting the flaps up actually hurts my wrists :(

mr_luksom
March 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I like it flat personally.

piquat
March 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Not only do the flaps have to be down (keyboard raised) but my arms have to lay at a certain angle with NOTHING touching them. If a pen, glass of water, piece of paper, ect. is just touching my arms, it's nothing but error after error.

handy
March 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM
The only flaps I mess with these days have to do with take off & landing...

Do you believe me?

handy
March 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
My eyes are about 5 feet or more from the screen. I always sit the keyboard on my thighs & the mouse is on the long chest of draws on my right hand side.

So keyboard flaps are always (if they even exist on some of the keyboards I use) not in use.

If for some strange reason I need to raise the back of the keyboard I will raise my ankles. :lolflag:

Flaps up/down = ankles up/down in this hanger.

Rasa1111
March 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Yes.

+1

Always.

handy
March 9th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I wonder what wonderfully stimulating topic will next arrive in the Cafe for us all to ponder & puzzle over?

Sean Moran
March 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I've got the laptop here but use the external USB keyboard whenever I'm in the room to save wear and tear on the little Compaq. One flap broke but I stuck it back together with some heavy-duty plastic glue so now both flaps are set to lift up the keyboard.

Mainly just so I have somewhere to tuck all the extra USB cable under so my desk looks neat and from outside appearances I seem awfully well organised and must be doing something extremely important sitting here staring at the screen all day and night.
(It's all bluff)

I wonder what wonderfully stimulating topic will next arrive in the Cafe for us all to ponder & puzzle over?

How about the estimated payback-period of AAA nicad batteries and chargers over the standard pairs of dry-cell batteries in wireless mouses/mices? That's another one that keeps me awake at night in deep contemplation.

Lucradia
March 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I use it because I have one of those Logitech solar keyboards. The sun from my window is better with the flaps raised.

szymon_g
March 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
i find the "standard" flaps a really unergonomic. when they are raised, wrists have to be kept in unnatural way. instead of "standard" flaps, located on the far side of keyboard, i prefer to have a near side of keyboard up (here is a photo http://www.ergonomicoffices.net/ergonomic-4000/ )- its really nice!

mr_luksom
March 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I've got the laptop here but use the external USB keyboard whenever I'm in the room to save wear and tear on the little Compaq. One flap broke but I stuck it back together with some heavy-duty plastic glue so now both flaps are set to lift up the keyboard.

Mainly just so I have somewhere to tuck all the extra USB cable under so my desk looks neat and from outside appearances I seem awfully well organised and must be doing something extremely important sitting here staring at the screen all day and night.
(It's all bluff)

How about the estimated payback-period of AAA nicad batteries and chargers over the standard pairs of dry-cell batteries in wireless mouses/mices? That's another one that keeps me awake at night in deep contemplation.

Oh man - the sleepless nights wondering if I had made efficient use of my capital investing in NiCad's.

The stress got too much in the end - I went back to wired keyboards and mice. Some people just weren't born to live on the edge.:lolflag: