PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screensaver?

macstl
March 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I got 10.10 desktop and want to save screensaver settings but nothing seems to work. There is no apply or ok button and enter does nothing so i hit close cause that is all there is besides help. Advise is appreciated.

also I get logged off after a while and it closes anything I had open. How to I get rid of this and it also wants me to login to wifi keyring again.

macstl
March 10th, 2011, 02:03 AM
bump

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Try , System > Preferences > Screen Saver . Using the slider set time to start. Below there is a check box for lock screen and activate screen saver , add or remove checks Per your preferences.

Use the power management tab to set sleep and monitor shut off time.

macstl
March 10th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Try , System > Preferences > Screen Saver . Using the slider set time to start. Below there is a check box for lock screen and activate screen saver , add or remove checks Per your preferences.

Use the power management tab to set sleep and monitor shut off time.

I did all that and screensaver feet dont come up and I get locked out with password.
timer seems to work but the rest dont.

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
What are screen saver feet ? I would also check for related threads with the search .

Frogs Hair
March 10th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Did you mean floating feet ? Sorry I did not know what meant until I looked at the list .

jonbwilson
March 10th, 2011, 09:14 AM
So, under System > Preferences > Screensaver, make sure the box "Activate screen saver when computer is idle" is checked if you want it to work at all.

If you don't want to have to enter your password every time your screen saver comes up, uncheck the "lock screen when screensaver is active" box.

Now, if you need to adjust when your computer goes into sleep or hibernate or blank screen mode, click the button on the bottom of that window that says "power management," or go to System > Preferences > Power Management

Note: If you're using a laptop, you'll have 3 tabs at the top - "ac power," "battery power," and "general." It's important that you make sure you set preferences for both ac and battery power, because if you don't your computer will behave differently when it's not plugged in.

macstl
March 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM
So, under System > Preferences > Screensaver, make sure the box "Activate screen saver when computer is idle" is checked if you want it to work at all.

If you don't want to have to enter your password every time your screen saver comes up, uncheck the "lock screen when screensaver is active" box.

Now, if you need to adjust when your computer goes into sleep or hibernate or blank screen mode, click the button on the bottom of that window that says "power management," or go to System > Preferences > Power Management

Note: If you're using a laptop, you'll have 3 tabs at the top - "ac power," "battery power," and "general." It's important that you make sure you set preferences for both ac and battery power, because if you don't your computer will behave differently when it's not plugged in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx
I got activate ss checked and I got password unchecked and I got footprints selected for ss. None of it works except timer. When it times out all I get is a lockout and password request. I keep my laptop plugged cause battery is dead. I got it set to sleep at 1hour. Im trying to get ss to work at 15-20 minutes. I got all the latest updates ie . update mgr says so.

macstl
March 13th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I reloaded ubuntu 10.10 and the screensaver still does not operate but comes up with a logout and looking for a password. This must be unique to my thinkpad t23 laptop . Should I post this somewhere like a incomapatable thread? I got 10.10 server with desktop gnmoe on a amd box and screensaver works fine on it.