PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I cant enter Ubuntu

Slymon95
March 9th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I made a big oops, and I hope there's a way to fix this.
Allow me to describe the events:

I had Windows Vista (yes, Vista), then I installed Ubuntu alongside Vista. (I restored vista to factory defaults to make some space on my 160GB hard drive)
In the installation, I partitioned the hard drive into 2 (55GB for Windows, 91GB for Ubuntu).
When I finished, I was given the option to select several options, I always used the first, Ubuntu.

Later I wanted to see if Vista worked, so I tried opening it. I selected it and came back after a while, and found it was at some menu to recover something. I selected the first (cant remember what it was, something to do with recovering I think); and of course, my laptop cable came loose and my battery was not in. It shut down.

I powered my computer on and selected Vista, it would start; then the screen went black. It did this for both Vista options. (There were 4 Ubuntu options too, 2 of those were some weird on in parenthesis).

I used my recovery CD's hoping to restore my computer to factory state and re install Ubuntu. When it finished, I checked "My computer" and only found a 55GB's (what I partitioned Windows) (and my recovery drive,8 or 9GB).

When I shut down, (after more Windows setup), the Boot options were not there anymore! It goes straight to Windows Vista.

I am using the run Ubuntu from CD now and in the Places>Computer, I see several places:

160GB Hard Disk: 55GB File System
160GB Hard Disk: 91GB File System
160GB Hard Disk: Presario_RP (I think its the Recovery Partition Drive)
File System

If I select the "160GB Hard Disk: 91GB File System", I can access my files, so I know Ubuntu is still there.

Can I get some help? Is there a way to get windows to take over the whole disk drive, then re install ubuntu from scratch, or some other help?

I LOVE UBUNTU to death now and I dont want to get stuck with Windows.

matt_symes
March 9th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Hi

Have a read of this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling from LiveCD

and specifically this section

Reinstalling GRUB 2
SIMPLEST - Copy GRUB 2 Files from the LiveCD

It's a simple procedure.

Kind regards