PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I would like to install ubuntu instead of my other version of linux

ritchiewall
March 9th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Hey guys.

So my grand master plan was to buy a linux machine so I can install boxee to use exclusively with my media system. The problem is the version it comes with (Gateway Linux, ASUS EEE BOX 1007 BLACK LINUX ATOM D410, 1G-DDR2, 250G HDD, B/G/N, ESATA, 6X USB, KB + MS). According to the boxee website I have to have ubuntu installed but from reading these threads linux all seems so complicated! I am a windows user and think I may have just jumped in over my head....

Is there a website somewhere that would give me an idiot proof way of uninstalling and installing ubuntu please? Any help would be appreciated.

akand074
March 9th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Here (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick) is an ubuntu wiki guide... I'm there are a bunch, I've seen people recommend some good ones. But if you are only interested in installing/uninstalling and you are only going to run one OS at a time, the Ubuntu installer can take care of that (set it to use the whole disk) then if you wanted to install another OS then you can do the same with the other OS.

wojox
March 9th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Go to Pen Drive Linux (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/) and follow there instructions for creating a usb boot stick on Windows and boot that off your new machine.

ritchiewall
March 9th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. So if I use that website, it will permanently install ubuntu for me as easily as it sounds or will I always need to keep the flash drive in?

akand074
March 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. So if I use that website, it will permanently install ubuntu for me as easily as it sounds or will I always need to keep the flash drive in?

That site looks like it would install Ubuntu on the usb drive, that is it becomes a portable OS, just boot of the usb stick. I don't think that's what you want. Just install it normally either using a USB or a cd/dvd by following the instructions on the ubuntu download page.