PDA

View Full Version : usb install does not install

SilverGhost29
March 9th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hi. I hope someone knows the answer...and this being Ubuntu Forums, someone must surely know it. Can you share it please? Many thanks.

Using Ubuntu Netbook Remix and I wish to create a USB install with Mint 12 on it.

Downloaded universal usb (also linux usb. also unetbootin usb).Tried them all with the Mint iso file. None created it.

Using the Make Disc facility-and using the usb creator / installers and the distro iso-I did get as far as being told the usb installer had been created and I could boot up computers with it.

Tried it. Nope. It did not. Error relates to vesa and says it is: not a cmr image.
followed by: boot:

then nothing except repeats the error messages.

Anyone else had this and resolved it at all? Thanks very much.

Hedgehog1
March 9th, 2011, 02:47 AM
SilverGhost29,

I just want to be sure I understand:

Is your desire to create an Install USB identical to a LiveCD of Mint?

Or you your wish to install Mint on the USB so you can run Mint when you boot off the USB stick?

The answer will help us lead you down the correct path.

The Hedge

:KS

SilverGhost29
March 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hedgehog1

Apologies & thanks for the cue.Like to create usb equivalent of live cd / dvd as like to install Mint from usb...with option of trying it first. Live route would be fantastic but even just way of installing from usb would be great too.

Made Linux leap recently.Completely.Love it. Even the few issues are interesting, as showing me what I need to look into and learn.

Any help would be appreciated on this.

Hedgehog1
March 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Below are a couple of links. They allow you to turn most any iso into a 'LiveUSB':

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

If you want to do a complete install on a USB, I can also walk you through that process, too.

These link might do the trick for you, though.

The Hedge

:KS