PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to automatically login?

Physicist
March 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome. My computer automatically boots up at a particular time of day. But it stops at the login window. 1) How do I let it automatically login? I have set passwordless login.So when I manually hit my login username, it logs in without needing me input password. But it gives a pop-up window asking for keyring password, 2) how to get rid of it?

drs305
March 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
You of course will reduce the security of your system, but you can eliminate the password request by:
System > Preferences > Encryptions & Keyrings
Right click on Password, Change Password.
Enter your current keyring password and leave the new and confirm boxes empty.

cap10Ibraim
March 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM
try the options ins system-> administration->login screen

Kirboosy
March 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM
try the options ins system-> administration->login screen

+1 This will allow you to achieve your goal

drs305
March 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I may have misinterpreted what you wrote. If you haven't enabled the passwordless option in System, Administration by all means to that as suggested by the previous posters and see if that accomplishes what you want. That will still leave your keyring security intact if that fixes your issue. I'm sure we all recommend you disable as little as possible.

Kirboosy
March 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I may have misinterpreted what you wrote. If you haven't enabled the passwordless option in System, Administration by all means to that as suggested by the previous posters and see if that accomplishes what you want. That will still leave your keyring security intact if that fixes your issue. I'm sure we all recommend you disable as little as possible.

You answered question two on his OP. :)

Physicist
March 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for the very quick answers. I wasn't aware that a passwordless keyring would also mean my passwords will be stored in plain text (right?) If it's that, I won't do. But I can now login without manually hitting my login user name. So thanks for that.