PDA

View Full Version : Favorite websites to buy custom-built desktops?

linuxforartists
March 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone could recommend good websites for buying custom-built desktops? (FYI: I'm in the United States.) I'd like to have full control over which parts go into the computer, but I don't have the skills to build one myself.

What do I need it for? I'd like a computer to handle photo and video editing. If I could get one with Linux already installed, that'd be great, but it's not a requirement. Budget is about US$450 to $650.

Two that I've looked at are iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC. Right now I'm leaning toward CyberPower, since you can get wireless Internet cards installed. I'm open to suggestions.

GabrielYYZ
March 8th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Pardon me for insisting, but i think you should build it yourself. you save money and, really, it's not that hard. Hardest thing, IMO, is connecting the front panel headers and it's not that is hard, but tedious.

Check out a couple Youtube videos, build up some confidence and DIY, it's worth it.

Lucradia
March 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I go in person to a local computer shop after finding each part separate on a site like newegg.com. They order the parts, build it, boom; computer. It's still going to end up more expensive if you really desire raw video editing, etc. I suggest tweaking your budget higher.

If you plan to do webcam + screencast, it may cost even more. If you need HDMI Input, you need to order a BlackMagic PCI device.

linuxforartists
March 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Hmm, I was thinking of doing screencasts for a video blog. Appreciate the tip about BlackMagic, never knew about it.

Lucradia
March 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Hmm, I was thinking of doing screencasts for a video blog. Appreciate the tip about BlackMagic, never knew about it.

Yeah, I was surprised too about it when I heard its name tossed around on the PSN Forums a year or two back.