PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about upgrading

KyleCF
March 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and I love it. I'm considering upgrading to 10.04 LTS. The thing is that I've set up my system exactly the way I want it, and in terms of visuals and customisations I don't want a single thing to be changed. It must LOOK exactly the same.

Is there a way of achieving this? If I upgrade, will it still look the same, and if not, how do I 'backup' my preferences?

Dutch70
March 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and I love it. I'm considering upgrading to 10.04 LTS. The thing is that I've set up my system exactly the way I want it, and in terms of visuals and customisations I don't want a single thing to be changed. It must LOOK exactly the same.

Is there a way of achieving this? If I upgrade, will it still look the same, and if not, how do I 'backup' my preferences?

I doubt that will ever happen successfully Kyle.
Do you have a separate /home partition?

If you have a highly customised system. It's unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade successfully anyway.

Your settings are in your .config folder. I've heard that if you have a data, or similar partition. You can put your .config folder in there while you do a fresh install,
then put it back, but Idk for sure.

Edit:
Hey, I've got Maverick & Natty installed, I think I'm gonna try putting my .config folder in a totally uncustomised Natty install & see what happens. :)

45 min. later
Well, Natty is acting goofy. Nautilus kept crashing, but it is Alpha-3.