PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is this why its slow?

405jayb
March 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have two laptops. One is a Dell Inspiron n7010 2.0ghz dual processor and 4g of ram. The next is Hp dv2000 1.83 dual with 3g ram. The hp is faster (shutdown, resume from sleep and even general use). I copied my home folder and saved markings to an external drive from the hp and read them on the dell along with copying the home folder to the dell. Could it be that some files that applied strictly to the hp could be slowing the dell down? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

jewfromdahood
March 8th, 2011, 09:41 AM
core clock speed is not the only thing that determines the speed, it is also how the cpu is designed varying differences say between core i3, i5, and i7. as well as hard drive speed and data density. But it is possible that some drivers in ubuntu are more optimized for some hardware more than others

405jayb
March 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I plan on reinstalling and installing package by package and manually recustomizing to see if I could weed out the problem. You may be right, the hp could be better optimized.

Dutch70
March 8th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I plan on reinstalling and installing package by package and manually recustomizing to see if I could weed out the problem. You may be right, the hp could be better optimized.

One thing you can do is boot both systems with nothing except system monitor running & compare the info.