PDA

View Full Version : Any hotrodders/car enthusiasts?

drucer
May 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Any hotrodders/car enthusiasts here? I bought '66 Impala Sport Coupe last year and it's completely restored now. I remember reading a story about how IT people generally don't like to drive cars - it was because traffic rules are not always logical and nerds want everything to be logical. That does make some sense, but I gotta tell you I love my Chevy! :cool:

wthanna
May 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I live in Texas.. lots of car enthusiasts here. My dad is president of the local Model A Ford Club. He has 3 of them. They are all excellently restored originals.. He has a coupe, a phaeton, and a truck. They are 1929-1931 year models. Also, my sister and her husband have two show cars that are also driven regularly. One supercharged 1968 Camaro, and a 1966 Nova. I would like to buy the Nova from my sister some day (I was born in '66 and love the car), but right now I have a project of my own which is a 1999 Harley Davidson.. well, actually it is more of a "Harley clone"... not much Harley parts left.. mostly S&S.. motor, carb., etc... built from the ground up by my cousin.. Well, I could go on and on, but I'm at work and better get back to it! Have a great day! Enjoy that Chevy! My dad also just picked up in the last few days, a completely restored 55 Thunderbird with a 292 V8.

Virogenesis
May 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
My old man has got a little Morris Minor 1000 2 door, Its running a fiat 132 2L lump, got the dash out of trumph I can't remember extactly what.
Its actually in the garage right now being tuned as hes changed the carbs for weber 40s.
Its not the typical Minor shape due to the chop I think its had 4" off of the roof hopefully it willl be attending Run To The Sun this year which is our national VW meet up in the UK.
Hopefully I'll have some pics of some bugs and campers might even get a few photos of the local customs I might take some of his I ain't sure yet as he does need a respray.

Virogenesis
May 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Have either of you thought about fitting a mini itx board and screen into your car and then installing linux onto it.
Basicaly allowing you to watch dvds and play mp3s. and damn you yanks with your v8s.

wthanna
May 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Have either of you thought about fitting a mini itx board and screen into your car and then installing linux onto it.
Basicaly allowing you to watch dvds and play mp3s. and damn you yanks with your v8s.

Interesting idea. I might have to look into that. The first question that comes to mind is the hard drive and cd/dvd drive. I'm wondering if I would need to find drives that could handle all of the bumps in the roads, etc.. I'm sure they are out there. I'm just wondering how much more you would have to pay for drives that can handle the abuse of living on the road. ??

Virogenesis
May 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Interesting idea. I might have to look into that. The first question that comes to mind is the hard drive and cd/dvd drive. I'm wondering if I would need to find drives that could handle all of the bumps in the roads, etc.. I'm sure they are out there. I'm just wondering how much more you would have to pay for drives that can handle the abuse of living on the road. ??
Well alot use notebook parts due to them using less power and also they wear better, also some load the actual os onto compact flash cards.
Most of the parts you'll find are on ebay.
The type of motherboard that are used are mini itx and nano ITX, the board themselves usually have a lan card, sound and video all built onto the board and some even come with a spare PCI slot allowing for a tv tuner.
The PSUs are designed for cars so no need to worry about power issues.
I started looking at the idea back in 2000 when I saw a article about someone fitting a computer into a monedo I think it was it only had a 6gb harddrive in it.
The prices for the hardware shouldn't be too much as ram is cheap and p3s are always coming down in price.
www.mp3car.com have pretty much all the parts and even do barebone systems.
Also do shop around for parts you'll get ripped off something silly if you don't as you'll see when you look into mini-itx boards.
mini-itx are only something like 17cm by 17cm not very big at all just so you know.

prizrak
May 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I prefer imports to big american cars, but I do love cars. Traffic rules are meaningless ;)