PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are all mirrors equal ?

ProgramErgoSum
March 8th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I am confused and worried about the maintenance of my system because I am not sure what updates to apply. I have a poor internet connection and unfortunately I cannot do much about it. The server in India - I stay in Bengaluru - reports updates that are not seen from the 'Select Best Server...' option. And, I would bet, the updates from the 'main' server would report something altogether different.

So, whom do I trust ?

mikewhatever
March 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Some servers are a day or two behind the main repositories, since it takes time to sync them. Other then that, I don't know if there are differences.

prshah
March 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM
The server in India - I stay in Bengaluru - reports updates that are not seen from the 'Select Best Server...'

The repo servers for India are at most about 8 hours behind the main servers, even over weekends. So I'd suggest you stay with the Indian servers.

However, the difference is much more (upto 40 hours) when upgrades (eg 10.10->11.04) are at their peak. At such times, especially when multiple systems are involved, I prefer to download and use the Alternate CD to upgrade.

Summary: I suggest you stay with the Indian mirrors (managed by IIT-A and IIT-B, among others).

mikewhatever
March 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Found the list of Ubuntu mirrors on launchpad.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

One of the Indian mirrors is a week behind the rest, so that it would surely differ.

ProgramErgoSum
March 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
The repo servers for India are at most about 8 hours behind the main servers, even over weekends. So I'd suggest you stay with the Indian servers.

However, the difference is much more (upto 40 hours) when upgrades (eg 10.10->11.04) are at their peak. At such times, especially when multiple systems are involved, I prefer to download and use the Alternate CD to upgrade.

Summary: I suggest you stay with the Indian mirrors (managed by IIT-A and IIT-B, among others).

Thank you, for the information. I used to select the server with the best speed. Obviously, that is not the right thing to do as some are 'behind'. Henceforth, I am going to stick to India servers.

And, IIT-A ? In my time, there were only a handful of IITs so I had to re-look the list and yet, I do not find an IIT-A. ;)