PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I back up Evolution e-mail?

Learning Linux 2011
March 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM
How would I back up Evolution e-mail in case there is a hard drive crash?

slooksterpsv
March 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Open Evolution, go to File -> Backup Settings... and save it to your backup solution (External hard drive, dropbox, etc.).

Then if you ever have to setup evolution again, just import the backup file you made and it should bring back everything. At least to my understanding.

dionysius
March 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Or just copy everything that's in the 'hidden' Evolution folder in your home directory.

/home/yourname/.evolution

That's where everything is stored, email, signatures, etc.

slooksterpsv
March 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Or just copy everything that's in the 'hidden' Evolution folder in your home directory.

But if you copy that back you still have to setup the accounts again... hmmm I wonder if you do if you have the restore file? I wouldn't think so (except passwords), but I could be wrong.

amauk
March 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM

Careful,
Later versions of evolution have split the locations of general settings and account specific stuff

general settings are in ~/.evolution
account specific settings (including actual emails) are in ~/.local/share/evolution

dionysius
March 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Careful,
Later versions of evolution have split the locations of general settings and account specific stuff

general settings are in ~/.evolution
account specific settings (including actual emails) are in ~/.local/share/evolution

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. But then I backup everything in /home so that would include stuff under ~/.local

Thanks.