PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] All left clicks are drags

Fajner1
March 8th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I have several desktop environments, the default one of which is Gnome. All of a sudden when I log into Gnome, all left clicks anywhere except the taskbars are seen as drags, so I can't left click anything. Also, the taskbars don't recognize right clicks. Could this have happened because I changed a setting in one of the other environments (KDE, Xfce, LXDE)?

I'm posting this using KDE.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to add that if I load failsafe Gnome, it works normally again. I think the problem might also be due to the sticky notes feature?

Krytarik
March 8th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Please check what is selected in "System -> Preferences -> Mouse -> Mouse Orientation".

Fajner1
March 8th, 2011, 04:29 AM
It's right handed.

Krytarik
March 8th, 2011, 04:58 AM
How about the "Accessibility" options? I have nothing selected there.

Fajner1
March 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Neither do I. Should I try reinstalling Gnome?

Krytarik
March 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Should I try reinstalling Gnome?
No, not yet. But you could try creating a new user and logging in with those, "System -> Administration -> Users and Groups".

Fajner1
March 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Well, either way I would start with the default menu settings and such, and reinstalling Gnome is easier. I just go on Xfce, open Software Center, remove Gnome, and install Gnome.

Fajner1
March 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Ok, as it turns out, it's hard to uninstall Gnome. Is there a way to reset it?

Krytarik
March 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Is there a way to reset it?
Before trying that, I suggest checking if the issue also occurs with a fresh user account! Therefore add a new user via the respective tool in KDE/XFCE and login with those in Gnome.

Fajner1
March 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I logged into Gnome with both my other accounts; it's normal. But I don't really want to just start using another account unless there's nothing else possible, because I would have to transfer all my files and such, which would be pretty tedious.

Krytarik
March 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Try resetting all the mouse settings:
- delete the directory "~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse"

Also you mentioned Sticky Notes, does the mouse work normal when you close it, or prevent that it runs at startup?

Fajner1
March 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
How do I get to the directory? I know that somewhere there is a folder with a couple hundred folders within it, all beginning with a ".", but I can't find it.

Krytarik
March 9th, 2011, 10:45 PM
How do I get to the directory?
The "~" stands for "/home/USERNAME".

So the complete path would be like this: "/home/USERNAME/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse".

Fajner1
March 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM
That's what I thought. And I remember those files being there once, but for quite a while they haven't been there. Could they be hidden?

Krytarik
March 10th, 2011, 01:07 AM
That's what I thought. And I remember those files being there once, but for quite a while they haven't been there. Could they be hidden?
All those config dirs are hidden, as well as the other config/log files at the toplevel of your home directory. In Thunar/XFCE you can unhide them by "View -> Show Hidden Files". I don't know the respective option in KDE. You could also simply enter the following command in a terminal/console:

rm -rf /home/USERNAME/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse

Fajner1
March 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
It worked! :D Thanks man!

Krytarik
March 10th, 2011, 02:12 AM
It worked! :D Thanks man!
Cool! Probably it was a faulty entry for "/desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse/drag_threshold", I saw it when I checked on how to reset the mouse settings.

Tip: You can always use "gconf-editor" to see/change all -and even hidden- settings. The path I mentioned is the one you also see/can browse down in gconf-editor. But in your case you may not even have been able to use it.

Fajner1
March 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM
However, now whenever I change animation settings (right click on desktop -> change desktop background -> visual effects) to anything except "None", the leftclick=drag glitch happens again.

Krytarik
March 10th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Then why did it work after resetting the mouse settings, had you desktop effects disabled at that time?

It seems to be related to Compiz or the running video driver. What video card/chip do you have, what driver are you running, how did you install those?

And does the issue also occur with the other user account, knowing now what the trigger is?

Fajner1
March 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
The issue doesn't occur with the other accounts. I'm not sure which card I use, I'll have to check.

Krytarik
March 13th, 2011, 01:49 AM
The issue doesn't occur with the other accounts. I'm not sure which card I use, I'll have to check.
Not necessary to check it then.

Since I don't know exactly right now what in Compiz is causing this, would you have a problem with resetting all Compiz settings? If not, try removing/renaming both directories, "~/.compiz" and "~/.gconf/apps/compiz".

Fajner1
March 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Ok, I'll try that. Also, the problem is still present even though I've upgraded to Maverick, but since I didn't do a clean install, it's not really a surprise.