PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation problem solved

fresnofred
March 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
So those others of you who have had this problem do not pull your hair out in frustration, let me tell you of my experience. I tried to install Ultimate Edition 2.8 on my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop which has an Nvidia card. I have used this same installation dvd (and have tried live usb drives too which ran fine in other laptops) and successfully installed it. I mention this because you may have the same problem with Ubuntu MM, which is on U.E. 2.8. When I get to the installation part, with the live dvd or thumb drive, I either get "IMMINENT HARD DRIVE FAILURE" and or my mouse would freeze, then the whole system would freeze. No joy!
BUT, i easily installed U.E. 2.6!!! The difference: on the 2.8 U.E. version, I was not given a choice to boot to a safe video mode, and with the 2.6 I was given a choice to boot into the safe mode and should have no problems installing U.E. 2.6 and later downloading the Nvidia drivers. SO I SHOULD probably post this on Ultimate Editions forum, but I am too lazy to sign up and join their forum
PS: I have not finished installing 2.6 as I write but it looks like it is OK