PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation killed my internet and this is tough

burntcereal
March 8th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Okay this has been a huge hassle so i'll say just about everything that gave me trouble along the way. Okay so yesterday i downloaded the latest ubuntu and burned it to a DVD. I put it in the rig and installed it alongside windows 7, putting it on my second internal drive. I got the error which roughly said, "Cannot find root file System". I forget exactly what i did, but ubuntu wasn't connecting to the internet and giving me a hard time all around, so i restarted and attempted to run windows 7 and just be done with it.

HOWEVER, once i got past the bios screen it gave me the grub rescue message. With some research i found 2 commands for terminal and opened ubuntu in the disc based demo mode to enter them. everything was dandy and i could get on windows 7 again.

HOWEVER, the internet didn't work and i did the normal things
- unplugged and replugged ethernet cord
- restarted
- reinstalled driver

Suddenly, on the maybe 3rd attempt at reinstalling the driver, my computer was like, hey! i decided i hate you and it blue screened.

I restarted and it was okay, but internet still doesnt work. I got pissed, uninstalled ubuntu in a fit of nerd rage and recovered windows from before i had ubuntu

most of all i need my internet back working, so if anyone can offer help, this may be a challenging one to fix

Mark Phelps
March 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I ran into a similar problem with a new Gigabyte motherboard using the onboard Realtek LAN. IF it crapped out in Linux (which it did often), then it would not work when I booted back into Win7.

The "fix" took several months and two driver updates from Realtek to solve.

So, if you're using an onboard LAN, first thing to do is reinstall the LAN drivers. IF that doesn't fix it, go to the motherboard (or PC manufacturer) and look for newer LAN drivers.

Good Luck