PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Xubuntu 11.04 yet?

johntaylor1887
March 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I just installed Xubuntu 11.04 alpha 3, (as a test drive) and have to say I like the changes in the new XFCE. I like the dock on the bottom of the screen, but it's still kind of like gnome 2 with the panel on top. I think I'm going to stick with Xubuntu after 11.04 goes final, as I'm not a huge fan of the new Unity. Anyone else try it?

Reminder: 11.04 is not final yet, and should not be used on production machines.

BrokenKingpin
March 8th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I installed the new XFCE on top if 10.10, and I really like it. I will probably switch to it full time on the next release.

johntaylor1887
March 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I installed the new XFCE on top if 10.10, and I really like it. I will probably switch to it full time on the next release.

I just hope xfce doesn't get too fancy, I like the simplicity of it.

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Xfce is the new Gnome 2. ;)

johntaylor1887
March 8th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Xfce is the new Gnome 2. ;)

That's what I was thinking. There are actually a lot of similarities to gnome 2.

Philsoki
March 8th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I installed Alpha 2 on my laptop some time ago (OR maybe it was Alpha 1) and I love it. I haven't updated it yet because I'm low on bandwidth around here. But I think I'll definitely use it on my laptop when it goes final.

It didn't work on my desktop at all unfortunately, but hopefully the final release will... I should probably try it again and report a bug or something in the hopes it gets fixed. But I'll probably just end up going with the next Mint xfce spin...

Either way, I've tried it and I like it. I think I like it even more than Ubuntu 10.10 (Which is what's on my main PC at the moment).

drawkcab
March 8th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Jeez, I just realized that I've become retro grouchy. My plan is to stick with 10.04 until this mess gets sorted out.

NightwishFan
March 8th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I always make xfce look like BeOS. :D I might give 11.04 a try, though I am not really fond of the dark blue theme by default. Themes are meant to be changed.