PDA

View Full Version : Do you think audio sorting options would be nice for Nautilus?

LinuxFox
March 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I was adding some music to my digital audio player (mass storage flash disk type) using Ubuntu today and it got me wondering "wouldn't it be nice if Nautilus (or File Browser for anyone who doesn't know) had music sorting option".

On Vista, if I manage my digital audio player, I'm able to sort my music by Name, Artist, Album, etc. On Ubuntu, it's just like any other file window and sorts it by name, date, etc.

I know Rhythmbox can sort like this, but not all audio players work yet. I did submit my player to "media-player-info" after learning about it, but no update for Ubuntu yet so I can't use Rhythmbox to sort audio files.

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum, it's not really a support topic, but I wondered what other Ubuntu users think? I'm not insulting Ubuntu for not having this feature, I just think it might be a nice addition to it.

sydbat
March 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM
<snip>I'm not insulting Ubuntu for not having this feature</snip>WOW. That anyone feels they have to add this as a comment to avoid derision on this forum speaks volumes.

LinuxFox
March 8th, 2011, 12:38 AM
WOW. That anyone feels they have to add this as a comment to avoid derision on this forum speaks volumes.Actually I added that because I tend to get nervious. I've been to forums in the past where I said something only to be insulted. I hope I didn't offend you, I really do enjoy using Ubuntu.

sydbat
March 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Actually I added that because I tend to get nervious. I've been to forums in the past where I said something only to be insulted. I hope I didn't offend you, I really do enjoy using Ubuntu.No, you did not insult me at all. I have actually noticed this lately when people in general are making comments about Ubuntu that are not necessarily...flattering.

My comment goes to the need (real or perceived) by those posting to qualify their opinions so they do not get flamed or officially chastised. That should never happen on this forum, but it does.

jerenept
March 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
link to article: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/music-and-exif-metadata-information-in.html
ok:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus-columns
Apparently the reason this is not included in Nautilus is mainly "Windows does it" although I might be wrong....

LinuxFox
March 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM
No, you did not insult me at all. I have actually noticed this lately when people in general are making comments about Ubuntu that are not necessarily...flattering.

My comment goes to the need (real or perceived) by those posting to qualify their opinions so they do not get flamed or officially chastised. That should never happen on this forum, but it does.I did it because of past experiences with forums, I didn't even know it happened here as well.

jerenept: Really? This I gotta see, though I never heard of Webupd8 before.

sydbat
March 8th, 2011, 01:00 AM
the guys at Webupd8 have done this, i'll post the link soon.Oh you...and your "on topic-ness"...

To the OP - there are a lot of different players in Synaptic as well that sort music just fine. Try all of them and find out which one works best for you.

And when jerenept posts his link, check that out too.

KiwiNZ
March 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
No, you did not insult me at all. I have actually noticed this lately when people in general are making comments about Ubuntu that are not necessarily...flattering.

My comment goes to the need (real or perceived) by those posting to qualify their opinions so they do not get flamed or officially chastised. That should never happen on this forum, but it does.

" officially chastised" only happens if the Code of Conduct is broken. If you are flamed, report it and staff will act accordingly.

Shall we get back on topic now, thank you.

LinuxFox
March 8th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Oh you...and your "on topic-ness"...

To the OP - there are a lot of different players in Synaptic as well that sort music just fine. Try all of them and find out which one works best for you.

And when jerenept posts his link, check that out too.I'm aware of the other players, I use Rhythmbox and in the past, Banshee. :) Though I gotta wait until "media-player-info" gets updated for Ubuntu to use my player. I could use an .is_audio_player file, but I read somewhere that the workaround was the wrong thing to do.

I was thinking of music sorting as a feature for Nautilus, for those who want to open their player like a flash disk and view files that way. :)