PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia in 80s and 90s: the ten coolest old two player games?

honeybear
March 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Nostalgia, some of you have about 80s and 90s consoles. What were for you the ten best 2 player game, that you had much fun with your friends?

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?

There was I remind:
Amiga 500
AMSTRAD CPC 6128
Atari ST
CPS
Gameboy
PC-FX
Sega (several versions)
MAME or NEO
Nintendo NES, SNES, ...
Playstation 1

honeybear
March 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I still have my old Amiga and Nintendo 8 bits, with still lot of games, maybe to be sold on Ebay... -well, maybe waiting few years, they'll be more expensive. The Amstrad 6128 was great machine at that time (my floppy cannot read anymore)

1. Panza kick boxing
2. Tortle ninja
3. Ik+
4. Final whistle kick off
5. Sensible soccer
6. Vroom 2 player
7. and Ice hockey

Rustybolts
March 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
sensible soccer
chaos engine
speedball 2
streetfighter 2
rainbow islands
bubble bobble
double dragon
swiv
gauntlet
bloodmoney
lotus esprit turbo challenge

Hur Dur
March 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM
1.) Contra
2.) Contra 3
3.) Sunset Riders
4.) Battletoads
5.) Street Fighter II
6.) Turtles In Time
7.) Super Mario Bros. 3
8.) System Shock 2
9.) Quake
10.) Double Dragon

My friend and I play them all the time at school over LAN. Good times.

WinterMadness
March 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Any list that doesnt have Street Fighter 2 at number one is irrelevant :)

I suppose King Of Fighters 98 could be number 2

pi3.1415926535...
March 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Age of Empires I and II.

3rdalbum
March 8th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Bolo was massive amounts of fun on a network, but only for the Mac. I used to spoil the games by capturing a pillbox then suiciding on the edge of the map, then repeating the trick - nobody knew where all the pillboxes had gone. They would get dropped just inside the edge of the map, so when I'd dropped enough pillboxes I could just go back there and pick them all up, and then set up my base wherever I liked with all the pillboxes from the map.

If I knew someone was using a "borg" (a program that provided assistance to the human player, for instance by automatically building roads under the tank and other things) I would lay mines where a part of the road had been blasted away. When the borg-using player went across the roadless bit, the borg would automatically try to build a road on my mine, which would kill the player's LGM (little green man, the builder).

Bolo got a lot less popular at my school after I started playing :-)

Nytram
March 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM
In no particular order:

Kick off 2
Match day
Moonstone
Tekken
Sensible soccer
Speedball 2
Barbarian
Rampage
Laser Squad
Rebelstar

Many more I can't remember the names of.

LinuxFox
March 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Would late 90s count? I remember playing Pokemon Red and Blue with a few friends in 1999 occasionally. We traded, but we also battled which was the two-player part. I remember I was the only one who had the Game Boy link cable.

In the early 90s, definitely Super Mario Kart. Some of the kids that came over got excited over that game. :)

Those two are it for me, I didn't get much into multiplayer games with friends until early 2000s.

Edit: I just remembered, Twisted Metal 2. My brother and I played that a few times, though I couldn't remember if it was 1999 or 2000. Though it is a 90s game.

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 03:17 AM
One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird

I didn't like 2 player games much. My favorites were later with:

Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer
007 Goldeneye on the N64

JDShu
March 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Games I loved that required no online play, in no particular order:

Turtles in Time
Double Dragon
Contra
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Civilization 2
Tyrian
Mortal Kombat 3
Primal Rage
Super Mario 2

WinterMadness
March 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM
1)Street Fighter 2/Street Fighter 3:Third Strike
2)Super Mario Brothers 3
3)Garou Mark Of The Wolves
4)Doom 2
5)Mario Kart 64
6)Super Mario World
7)Mortal Kombat Trilogy
8)Saturday Night Slammasters
9)King Of Fighters 98
10)Super Smash Brothers

MisterGaribaldi
March 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Super Twintris for the Amiga ftw! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzs38SrOWbg)

mips
March 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.playfreeonlinegames.tv/images/gameimages/bubblebobble.gif

Nytram
March 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Best multiplayer game I played on the PC was Duke Nukem 3d from the mid-90s. Also played it 2-player with a home-built serial cable. It's dated, but not seen it bettered.

t0p
March 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Back in the 90s I wasn't really into gaming. But my then-girlfriend had a Nintendo 64, and I would occasionally join her in a game of Super Mario Kart. That was kinda cool.

What was not cool was that Zelda game, which I blame for the deterioration of our relationship (well I gotta blame something right? And I'm not new-mannish enough to point the finger at my arrogance and general insensitivity).

Grenage
March 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Back in the 90s I wasn't really into gaming. But my then-girlfriend had a Nintendo 64, and I would occasionally join her in a game of Super Mario Kart. That was kinda cool.

What was not cool was that Zelda game, which I blame for the deterioration of our relationship (well I gotta blame something right? And I'm not new-mannish enough to point the finger at my arrogance and general insensitivity).

Damn those elves, they're always up to no good.

Doom and then Duke Nukem for multiplayer, direct dialing from modem to modem was great - albeit expensive.

Nytram
March 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Doom and then Duke Nukem for multiplayer, direct dialing from modem to modem was great - albeit expensive.

Good for some, my modem could not receive incoming calls, dunno why not, made for some expensive gaming.

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM

I had a friend who had two phone lines. I hauled my desktop computer over to his house and we played Duke Nukem 3D against each other for hours. Recently, my wife and I played each other at Padman, and it was kind of reminiscent.

I can't believe Duke Nukem Forever is actually about to come out.

pelle.k
March 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Any list that doesnt have Street Fighter 2 at number one is irrelevant :)

I suppose King Of Fighters 98 could be number 2

I beg to differ! Anyone that hasn't got Hired Guns on their list is teh most irrelevant for sure. ;) OMG that game was fun! Commodore Amiga FTW btw.

mips
March 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I had a friend who had two phone lines. I hauled my desktop computer over to his house and we played Duke Nukem 3D against each other for hours.

Could you not have used a serial or parallel cable?

aaaantoine
March 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
In no particular order... and probably not even my top ten now that I think about it.

However, the listed games are all 2+ player simultaneous. The platforms listed are the platforms I played the game on. Arcade is excluded.

Star Control I/II (Amiga, PC)
Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Smash Bros (N64)
Contra (NES)
Jackal (NES)
Double Dragon II/III (NES) (NES's first DD port did not have simultaneous play)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Gauntlet II (NES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)

indigoshift
March 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
My favorite multiplayer games back in the mid-80s were Archon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfIfC9BHwQ) and Archon II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5lzCbG_Leg) on the Commodore 64.

Just listening to that intro music again gets me all fired up and ready for battle. :lolflag:

And if you want to go back a little further, my first multiplayer game was Atari Super Pong (http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/dedicated/superpong.html).

To this day, I know of no one who can beat me at Pong--when played with the paddles, the way God intended. :)

forrestcupp
March 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Could you not have used a serial or parallel cable?If I remember correctly, Duke was only set up to use a modem. It didn't have very many networking options.

My favorite multiplayer games back in the mid-80s were Archon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdfIfC9BHwQ)
I forgot about Archon. That was awesome. I spent a lot of hours playing that game.

SE7EN-LOCSTA
March 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM
1. starcraft/broodwar (not limited to only 2 people.. but it can be) -pc
2. goldeneye/007 (perfect dark too, sooo similar) -n64
3. tekken series -playstation
4. mortal kombat series -snes/n64
5. street fighter 2 -snes
6. wwf/wcw games -nes/snes/n64
7. contra series -nes/snes
8. super mario kart -snes
9. battletoads -nes
10. tank combat -atari

honeybear
March 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM
funny pic, of games that you never saw even ...

Dungeon master, 8-bits was cool too

gnomeuser
March 13th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Super Cars II
Lotus (I-III)
Moonstone
IK+

Swagman
March 13th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Silkworm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpyFImypM7w&playnext=1&list=PLF5C31F546BCB6071)

Speedball II

Stunt Car Racer

NCLI
March 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Mega Bomberman
Pokemon Yellow
Streets of Rage I-III

Probably more, I'll add them later as I think of them :)

Breambutt
March 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
River City Ransom (Street Gangs in Europe)

I'm terrible at trying to remember things like this, so I'll just leave it at that.

weasel fierce
March 13th, 2011, 08:27 PM
This is going to be amiga stuff, but a few that spring to mind:

Chaos Engine
Alien Breed (pretty much the whole series)
Moon stone
Super cars 2
Kick off 2
Sensible world of soccer
Speedball 2
Star control (and I'll toss in 2 for the PC)
Warlords
Lords of the realm
Voyage of discoveries
Battle isle
Historyline
Settlers
Lemmings

Too many to count

honeybear
March 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
River City Ransom (Street Gangs in Europe)

I'm terrible at trying to remember things like this, so I'll just leave it at that.
I reminds me Target Renegade, but I think Target was bit better though ... according to my xp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target:_Renegade

Breambutt
March 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I reminds me Target Renegade, but I think Target was bit better though ... according to my xp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target:_Renegade
Can you hit the sauna and see a naked 8-bit butt in Target Renegade? I think not!

Also, Merv the burger girl gives you a smile for free in RCR and buying a thong increases kick power!

Not to mention the generic dudes don't yell "BARF!" when they die in Renegade, now do they?

The prostitution rests.

honeybear
March 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM
can you hit the sauna and see a naked 8-bit butt in target renegade? I think not!

Also, merv the burger girl gives you a smile for free in rcr and buying a thong increases kick power!

Not to mention the generic dudes don't yell "barf!" when they die in renegade, now do they?

The prostitution rests.

:) :)