PDA

View Full Version : OS's

Hippytaff
March 7th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I am aware that this might potentially break the code of conduct depending on interpretation but I am just wondering if any one has used or uses other None windows/Mac/GNULinux/Unix OSs such as Plan 9, Haiku, ReactOS etc

Spice Weasel
March 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Haiku is brilliant. I tried ReactOS once, got a BSOD from what I remember. My home server runs OpenBSD (not much to say here... It does what it needs to do?)

odiseo77
March 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I played with some *BSDs for about a couple of months a while ago, and also installed Haiku on VirtualBox, but none of them hooked me up enough as to keep them on my HD. Other than that, I've only used Linux and Windows (and OSX, occasionally). :)

EDIT: I saw you said only non Windows/Linux/Unix; in that case, only Haiku, for a little while.

oldos2er
March 7th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I used OS/2, later eComStation, for many years.

donkyhotay
March 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Messed with solaris once but didn't really do much with it. Installed reactOS on a spare system mostly out of curiousity but it's pretty unstable (though interesting).

Spice Weasel
March 7th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Does DOS count? My laptop dual boots BSD and DOS. For the classic games. :)

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I am a big fan of Haiku, I usually keep a live usb of it around when I want to use a really fast clean desktop. When the project finishes this version in progress, I might dual boot it or even use it outright.

Other than that, I use Mac Os 9 on a vm, and sometimes keep Debian GNU/KFreeBSD around. I have never tried normal BSD.

forrestcupp
March 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Commodore BASIC 2.0 and GEOS.

speedwell68
March 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM
CPM, ZEUS (Zilog Enhanced Unix System), MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, BSD, openSolaris.

jerenept
March 7th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Other than that, I use Mac Os 9 on a vm, and sometimes keep Debian GNU/KFreeBSD around. I have never tried normal BSD.

Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't that be Debian/kFreeBSD?

Oh, and I am a huge fan of Haiku (the poetry and the OS)

Which virtualization software do you use? AFAIK, PowerPC virtualising is prohibitively slow. (And OS9 is very picky about hardware)

ki4jgt
March 7th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Reactos is kind of cool. I've stuck with Linux myself.

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Not to be pedantic, but shouldn't that be Debian/kFreeBSD?

http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

jerenept
March 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

I see.... Bringing GNU to UNIX. :-s

Dustin2128
March 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM
How could it possibly be a violation of the CoC? Eh, I experiment with Haiku, the BSDs and have FreeDOS installed on one of my desktops.

GWBouge
March 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Not recently, but BASIC on a Commodore 128 and MSDOS 2.1 (I think ...) on an IBM PC Jr, before I moved onto the shiny new Win3.1 and have been Win/Linux since.

Hippytaff
March 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
How could it possibly be a violation of the CoC?

Other OSs...might have generated derogitory comments etc...just covering my butt.

Thanks for all the responses though. I'm going to give Haiku and ReactOS a bash (live cd or Vitual Machine).