PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] proliferation of boot options

cannonballsimp
March 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi
I'm running Lucid Lynx in a dual boot setup with XP Pro. Sometimes when Ubuntu updates, it adds a new boot option to the list where I choose which operating system to load. currently, I have six different versions of Ubuntu listed here, each with an associated recovery mode, in addition to memtest and XP.

Is there a way to remove some of them? They are really annoying!

thanks
Simon

cjhabs
March 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi
I'm running Lucid Lynx in a dual boot setup with XP Pro. Sometimes when Ubuntu updates, it adds a new boot option to the list where I choose which operating system to load. currently, I have six different versions of Ubuntu listed here, each with an associated recovery mode, in addition to memtest and XP.

Is there a way to remove some of them? They are really annoying!

thanks
Simon

I have a slightly different setup that you - multi-boot but no windows.
I removed the extra kernels from /boot and then ran "update-grub".

Please make sure you are comfortable with what you are doing as you could end up screwing up the system boot if you delete the wrong files.

Thinking about it, you could just edit the menus and leave the extra kernels in place - /boot/grub/grub.cfg is the file - but if you run "update-grub" later on, those menu options will come back.

oldos2er
March 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Use a package manager to remove them; Software Center, Synaptic, apt-get, whatever your preference is. I like to keep at least two kernels installed, "just in case."

Example: In Synaptic Package Manager, click Status, Installed, look for linux-image*, right-click to 'Mark for Removal', Apply.

If you have Ubuntu Tweak installed, it also has an option to remove unwanted kernels.

cannonballsimp
March 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks. Oldos2er, I'll try your suggestion. cjhabs, yours looks a bit beyond my Ubuntu comfort zone! Thanks anyway.

cannonballsimp
March 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
It worked. Thanks. Freed up 400MB.
I noticed another set of similar filenames in Synaptic Package Manager, called linux-header xxxxxx. Any idea if I can get rid of those too? They're not bothering me, but if this was Windows, files like that would probably be taking up a fair amount of space.

oldos2er
March 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Yes you can remove the linux-header packages matching the version number of the linux-image* you removed.

cjhabs
March 8th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Use a package manager to remove them; Software Center, Synaptic, apt-get, whatever your preference is. I like to keep at least two kernels installed, "just in case."

Example: In Synaptic Package Manager, click Status, Installed, look for linux-image*, right-click to 'Mark for Removal', Apply.

If you have Ubuntu Tweak installed, it also has an option to remove unwanted kernels.

That is safer than my method - also I noticed that those packages still show in Synaptic after I manually removed the files - you learn something new every day! Thanks