PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea: Personality and OS

geirknappen
March 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I found this list of variants of linux (http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity) that people use. And I came to think... Those who have used ubuntu as their preferred OS over a longer period of time, probably has some sort of outline (or disposition/habit) that is part of their personality, that makes them wanna stick to that OS.

I have only tried live cd of Mint, CentOS, Mandriva (KDE) and Opensuse. I guess I have some outline that makes me think: KDE mandriva to many choices, CentOS to few desktop functionalities, and so on.

So here is my hypothesis:

1 The ubuntu user is a person that needs order, and functionality. Something like that?

2 The linux user that have used linux more than 1 year, must have some disposition for logic?

Anyone who think this is absolutely wrong?

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 7th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Use what works for you and adheres to your world-view about software ideology, that's all there is to it. Distro choice isn't some Freudian imperative or a will to express the self.

For example, until recently I was comfortable with the ease of use Ubuntu GNU/Linux provides, but I was conflicted by their constant flirting with or downright inclusion of non-Free software into their GNU/Linux distribution, so I switched to gNewSense GNU/Linux, which provides most of the user friendlyness without forcing me to compromise on my beliefs in Free Software.

geirknappen
March 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Use what works for you and adheres to your world-view about software ideology, that's all there is to it. Distro choice isn't some Freudian imperative or a will to express the self.

For example, until recently I was comfortable with the ease of use Ubuntu GNU/Linux provides, but I was conflicted by their constant flirting with or downright inclusion of non-Free software into their GNU/Linux distribution, so I switched to gNewSense GNU/Linux, which provides most of the user friendlyness without forcing me to compromise on my beliefs in Free Software.

1... I was not thinking of that. I never talk to people about what OS I use. And I am never trying to convince other people to use linux, this because I know that people are different. Most people want to stick to what they are used to, I guess.

2: I guess your preferences are based on ideology. The personality of those who uses gnewsence can be characterized for caring about ideology maybe?

Bucky Ball
March 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
1 The ubuntu user is a person that needs order, and functionality. Something like that?

My desktop is Xubuntu with Ubuntu Studio Audio/Visual apps installed; Gnome, Openbox, Fluxbox, and a few other desktop environments installed; Edubuntu and Satanic Edition artwork and a few other things I can't keep track, with just about everything done with keyboard shortcuts. My laptop is pretty much the same. Anyone else would have a tough job using either. It's chaos in there, but it is a very individual chaos. It's my kind of order but not neuro-typical!

2 The linux user that have used linux more than 1 year, must have some disposition for logic?

See answer to question one.

geirknappen
March 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM
It's chaos in there, but it is a very individual chaos. It's my kind of order but not neuro-typical!

1 I guess you like chaos you can control. Other preferences: metal music? Never classical music? Dont like silence?

2 Still possible to enjoy both chaos and logic.

u-noob-tu
March 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Interesting.... There are a lot of things that character traits and predispositions can be applied to, I just never thought a computer os was one of them. I do agree on your point about ubuntu users needing order and functionality, that's exactly why I love ubuntu. It just works.

slackthumbz
March 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Use whatever works best, I only switched to ubuntu because it had better hardware support for my laptops at the time. Now that Debian Squeeze is out I'll probably be switching back to good ol' Debian.

geirknappen
March 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
It just works.

Ok... I wonder how many of ubuntu users that study or have studied social sciences.

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I'd look around the web, there are a few distro-personallity comparisons that are aimed at being funny but it is partially funny because it isn't too far off-base.

malspa
March 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I multi-boot, use several different distros regularly, and enjoy various DEs and WMs. Hm. Split personality? Confused? Just like having a different look on different days? Well, I like to think that I do it because I can...

XubuRoxMySox
March 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I value simplicity, functionality, and versatility, so I use Xubuntu ("Mintified" a bit) because I think it's about the best mixture for my simple personality. I share this li'l laptop with other kids alot and I think Xubuntu has the best over-all simplicity and functionality combination going. Nothing super fancy, just uncluttered, simple, and pretty.

Tried Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Openbox, and Xfce so far, and stuck with Xfce for it's sweet simplicity and kid-friendliness.

-Robin

Bucky Ball
March 8th, 2011, 03:49 AM
1 I guess you like chaos you can control. Other preferences: metal music? Never classical music? Dont like silence?

Controlled chaos is fine but as for the rest 'fraid you couldn't be more wrong, sorry. Not into metal, been studying a classical music degree for the last four years, love silence. I'd put that career as a profiler on hold. ;)

GabrielYYZ
March 8th, 2011, 04:19 AM
i use both kubuntu and fedora, that means i'm bi-polar...? :P

barbedsaber
March 8th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I continue to use ubuntu because I've been in situations where I NEED my computer to be running tomorrow (for school and such) I've only had one computer, and had no freedom to experiment.

Also, I like the number of howtos
Cause it's the OS that is most used by n00bs, if need to do something, I don't have to spend ages working on a solution, I can figure it out and move on with my life.

But I AM about to start setting up a CentOS home server, so I'm pretty pumped.

Dragonbite
March 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
i use both kubuntu and fedora, that means i'm bi-polar...? :P

I use KDE *in* Fedora, so what does that make me :p

geirknappen
March 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Controlled chaos is fine but as for the rest 'fraid you couldn't be more wrong, sorry. Not into metal, been studying a classical music degree for the last four years, love silence. I'd put that career as a profiler on hold. ;)

That was just a random guess... I have no experience with connecting one preference with another. I think people who have studied sociology and psychology knows how to do that. I have studied education: the role of school in society.

Simian Man
March 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I use KDE *in* Fedora, so what does that make me :p

It makes you a man with good taste :).

andymorton
March 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=Which-Linux-distribution-are-you-1

This quiz might be of interest. Apparently, I'm Slackware. :)

geirknappen
March 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think there are that many people that have studied social sciences at university and have ubuntu or a different linux based Os. If anyone has, then that person might have something in common with me.

handy
March 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I've never liked excess stuff on my systems, so Arch suits me as it only has the core & whatever I've chosen to put on top. That in combination with the KISS principle that Arch is built on allowing for simple configuration using very few config files.

GUI wise I use Openbox with a small xfce-panel, no icons apart from the panel's 2 applets; Worker & Sakura are used to do what must be done.

Firefox, Sakura & Worker are automatically opened onto their own respective 3 out of 6 desktops when I boot into Openbox.

Personality wise that probably indicates that I'm an orderly & organised person who aims at efficiency when possible. Which is true as my office & shed will attest.

Not obsessively compulsively so though, as I don't have the energy or drive for that.

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I don't think there are that many people that have studied social sciences at university and have ubuntu or a different linux based Os. If anyone has, then that person might have something in common with me.

I'm doing an anthropology subject this semester so I'm partly there!

geirknappen
March 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'm doing an anthropology subject this semester so I'm partly there!

Yup... I studied that.

Yesterday I saw an interesting situation. A girl asked me for help, for activating an automatic word correction feature. First I told her that I only knew how to use openoffice, and that if she wanted my help, she would have to install that first. I observed that openoffice would not install. It seemed like It just tried to install itself 6 times, and then it failed.

Instead of trying to fix her problems, I gave her the link to ubuntu. Told her what to do if she wanted it: Download, burn to cd, reboot and choose the options. Later she could choose what os to use. If anyone asked me, I guess I would say that my opinion is that it does not make any sense to wait for what you want to happen, to just happen. I don't know if this person will choose to use ubuntu. In that sense, i don't know if I helped her at all, i just tried to show her an option.

Elfy
March 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
...In that sense, i don't know if I helped her at all, i just tried to show her an option.
You didn't help her.

She wanted help with "automatic word correction feature" not with installing an OS ;)

spupy
March 27th, 2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=Which-Linux-distribution-are-you-1

This quiz might be of interest. Apparently, I'm Slackware. :)

First try - Mandriva. Hmmm
Second try - Gentoo. YEAAHHHH

Gentoo = Control freak