PDA

View Full Version : Can I find and install older packages with Synaptic? (Xfce4)

Sleeper Service
February 25th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi -

I've got Xfce4.1.99(4.2RC2) working fine right now. But there are a couple of essential things which actually I prefered in 4.0.6 (which was the most up-to-date package i could install with urpmi when I was using Mandrake).

So the question is - is there an easy way for me to get Xfce4.0.6 installed under Ubuntu when the only option I can find with Synaptic is 4.1.99?

bored2k
February 25th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Hi -

I've got Xfce4.1.99(4.2RC2) working fine right now. But there are a couple of essential things which actually I prefered in 4.0.6 (which was the most up-to-date package i could install with urpmi when I was using Mandrake).

So the question is - is there an easy way for me to get Xfce4.0.6 installed under Ubuntu when the only option I can find with Synaptic is 4.1.99?

you will have to look for the apt repository that contains that version you desire
after that u can simply add it in the synaptic repository and block the ubuntu sources until the install so it doesnt collide with ur sources.

Sleeper Service
February 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM
you will have to look for the apt repository that contains that version you desireThanks. I'll have a go at that. Any pointers on where to start looking? I don't know much about the available apt repositories...

Sleeper Service
February 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
forget that post - I've answered my own question:

http://www.apt-get.org/ has a searchable database of all the repositories. Search for the package you're after and it gives each known repository with details of what to put in /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm starting to like apt-get even better than urpmi - just like y'all said I would :)

bored2k
February 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I'm starting to like apt-get even better than urpmi - just like y'all said I would :)

:-D

urpmi has nuffin on apt-get btw, on my short "debian" vacation mostly on mdk 10 [and suse and auroX 10 and slackware 10] the reason that kept me going back to debian was good ol` apt-get . not even with easy urpmi (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/) was mandrake any fun...

anyways, thanks for posting that apt-get site, i hav nvr really looked 4 any debian apt site as i left that for mdk's urpmi and suse's yast and aurox's yum and whatnot ...