PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are planning on upgrading to Gnome 3?

Linux_junkie
March 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
With the release of Gnome 3 only a month away now (unless they delay it again) I am interested to know how many Ubuntu/other distro users are looking forward to it like I am and will upgrade.

I downloaded the live CD version of Gnome 3 alpha last week and I love the layout and design of the shell. I personnally cannot wait for it.

LADmaticCA
March 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I did the same as you. Downloaded the live cd and gave it a spin. I agree, it is quite nice. Not to say I don't have problems with it. The missing minimize/maximize buttons is a little weird. And having to press a button, or go to the corner just to see the task manager is again...weird. Also, nautilus to me seems a bit slower.

Overall I love the art direction, the smooth animations, the integration of the message notifications, though i couldn't get it to work quite right with pidgin. I would love to see it's performance with a proper install.

Sean Moran
March 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I've been so happy to upgraqde from Ibex to Jakalope to Koala, and that was it.

Lucid and Maverick were not my flavour, nor to the taste of my mate in Canada who can't use his hands on a keyboard.

I remain happy with Karmic unless Natty can follow in Karmic's footsteps. Karmic Koala is still the most wonderful OS I've ever had the good luck to download.

Why might I take a long long time to ever bother to muck around with GNOME3?
Because there's only so much time we can waste mucking around with things for our computers, and sometimes we just need to get back to using these computers for the things that they are made for - WORK. Enough mucking around for me. I just want to be 90% USER and 10% 'muckingarounder' because Lucid and Maverick have taught me the cost of wasting my precious time.

aeiah
March 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
ill probably check it out put its unlikely to convert me back to gnome. its too bulky, and i dont use all the extras that come with it compared to something nice and slim like openbox. all i need is 4 virtual desktops, one taskbar and a right-click menu.

Linux_junkie
March 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
ill probably check it out put its unlikely to convert me back to gnome. its too bulky, and i dont use all the extras that come with it compared to something nice and slim like openbox. all i need is 4 virtual desktops, one taskbar and a right-click menu.

Thats fair enough I admire your comment. I know not everyone likes Gnome or KDE or any other desktop environment as bloated as these two.

I have two pc's one laptop with 1GB of RAM and one desktop with 256MB of RAM. Gnome runs slow on the desktop which is why I use XFCE on that one but the laptop I use Gnome and am thinking of upgrading that to version 3.

I think I'm rambling now!

Lucradia
March 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Switching to XFCE / KDE for me.

Quake
March 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I don't like the direction Gnome has taken. Perhaps I'll into XFCE.

MisterGaribaldi
March 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm running KDE these days and it's going to be a while before I look at another Gnome install. I'm concerned about it being a little too oriented for netbooks.

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'll probably upgrade to it when I don't have a choice, and that is whether my computer can handle it (3d, effects are pretty spotty). My desktop runs 10.04 and will probably through the life of the LTS supported life. My laptop is a little more "experimental".

If my computer cannot handle it then I'll flip over to KDE or Xfce but I won't decide until such time.

I've used Gnome3 a long time ago, but it has improved a LOT since then (or at least I sure hope so!)

runeh76
March 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Funny, i was thinking same thing today :)
I did test that unity "thing" month ago. Didnt like it.
hmm.. maverick support ends april 2012, so no hurry! Checking october's release and lets see what is coming up ;)

sixstorm
March 7th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm curious to see what Gnome 3 is like on release day, so I may have to try it out on my Ubuntu VM.

marl30
March 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I prefer Unity. I have no future plans to use Gnome 3, perhaps only the tweaked version that is expected to be released with Linux Mint 11. I'm looking forward to Unity in 11.04.

Retrograde77
March 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Am not a fan of it at all, but thats only from seeing the look of it.
Seems to me it is built for people who like virtual desktops? Have never used them myself.

Also have anyone used it with dual monitors? and how well is it handled?.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 08:59 PM
is it gonna be the default in 11.04? then i might upgrade to it.

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Everyone knows that 11.4 will be Unity, the whole forum is full of threads like "Unity a bad move" and "Unity a good thing".

Quadunit404
March 7th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Unity is the default in 11.04.

wojox
March 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm running it on my Fedora-14 Laptop. I like it. I do miss my weather icon though.

There's also talk of GNOME 3 Removes Minimise, Maximise Buttons (http://www.osnews.com/story/24499/GNOME_3_Removes_Minimise_Maximise_Buttons)

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
i haven't read much about unity. is there going to be a ubuntu version with straight gnome 3?

Shpongle
March 7th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I'd take it over unity any day , tried shell it out on a live cd and it looks to be shaping up quite nice. In all honesty though I can see myself going *box or kde. But I'll give it a go all the same

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 09:15 PM
ill give unity a try first. if not i will switch to it. i heard compiz won't work with it right away is this true?

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Unity is based on compiz, the gnome shell can not use compiz at all, it replaces it with mutter.

Personally I am trying to migrate to Debian (not because of any banshee drama or etc, I just like Debian). I really hope Unity gets ported to Debian eventually, that would really rock.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
running the alpha in vm right now to try it out. still says it's running gnome. only real difference i notice is the mac like top bar. did they not implement unity yet?

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Unity is based on compiz, the gnome shell can not use compiz at all, it replaces it with mutter.

Personally I am trying to migrate to Debian (not because of any banshee drama or etc, I just like Debian). I really hope Unity gets ported to Debian eventually, that would really rock.

From the sounds of it, Fedora, openSUSE and possibly some other distributions were working on adding Unity to their repositories though I think they all dropped it off for one reason or another.

At least they dropped it for now, maybe they'll try again later when things are a little more mature?

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
You need 3d acceleration to run Unity, so unless you are using the bleeding edge virtualbox with guest additions, you will use the classic desktop. Also note that Unity IS gnome, and includes gnome panel interface along side unity for non-3d hardware. Unity is simply an alternate "shell" for gnome. Basically an interface to interact with gnome, just not the gnome shell or gnome panel.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM
ah that makes sense. we'll see when it comes out what i do. not sure if i want to move off LTS on my main machine yet. maybe i'll test it on my netbook

Dragonbite
March 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM
You need 3d acceleration to run Unity, so unless you are using the bleeding edge virtualbox with guest additions, you will use the classic desktop. Also note that Unity IS gnome, and includes gnome panel interface along side unity for non-3d hardware. Unity is simply an alternate "shell" for gnome. Basically an interface to interact with gnome, just not the gnome shell or gnome panel.

Gnome classic is supposed to take precedence if 3D support is not found. I wonder if Unity 2D will eventually replace this?

akand074
March 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Gnome classic is supposed to take precedence if 3D support is not found. I wonder if Unity 2D will eventually replace this?

I thought it already drops to Unity 2D without 3D acceleration.. that's what I heard and I'm pretty sure that's what it did when I quickly tested one of the daily builds a while back. Maybe not.

I am on the same boat as most people here, honestly Unity is looking fantastic to me now, I had a few major issues that they seem to have implemented well now. Though, after giving myself time to actually get used to the new interface, I still don't like it, then I might think of running gnome 3's shell, but I think I'm going to be happy with 11.04 in general. Looks like a fantastic release.

mamamia88
March 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM
is unity in the repos for 10.10?

mmsmc
March 7th, 2011, 10:15 PM
im not to sure about unity, what does everybody else think about it?

NightwishFan
March 7th, 2011, 10:16 PM

You can try the netbook unity based on Mutter.

jbonll05
March 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I have recently switched one laptop to KDE so as to be able to a raw DSLR photo program in its native environment. It works, KDE took some getting use to, however now I do not need M$ to process my DSLR images. My desktop dual boots M$ Vista(came with it) and Ubu. 10.10 with Gnome 2.xx. - Will it update or do I need to download the Live CD?
jb

click4851
March 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
no, not looking forward to it.

smellyman
March 8th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I will try them all out.

No need to whine so much.

BigCityCat
March 8th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I hate it. It takes up far too much screen. I will be staying with Lucid till that runs out and then by that time I think Unity will have enough customizations that I will be happy with it.

BigCityCat
March 8th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I used Kubuntu for about two years. I hate it too. It's ugly and buggy. I prefer the themes in gtk that change the entire interface. I hate being stuck with oxygen, or Qt curve or the other terrible intefaces KDE has.

cgroza
March 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM
To get the Unity based on compiz , there is a PPA for that.

BrokenKingpin
March 8th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Nope

bruce89
March 8th, 2011, 03:35 AM

Unity requires compiz in the same way shell requires Mutter.

From the sounds of it, Fedora, openSUSE and possibly some other distributions were working on adding Unity to their repositories though I think they all dropped it off for one reason or another.

My understanding is that there's a patch (or patches) that need upstreamed first. Either upstream isn't willing or downstream aren't pushing it/them.

Not by GNOME unless the copyright assignment is dropped.

I hate it. It takes up far too much screen.

25 pixels?!

johntaylor1887
March 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM
As it stands now, no, I will not be using it. But I will check it out at a later date to see how it matures. If it matures like KDE4 did, then probably never. XFCE and Fluxbox are looking better all the time.

But I do realize things have to move forward, and the devs are doing their best no matter the criticism. And the nice thing is, I still have a few other options if I don't like the new stuff. But I don't get bent out of shape just because things change. (unlike some people)

Dragonbite
March 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Yes it is, as said in PPAs. There is Unity and Unity 2D (without requiring hardware acceleration). I've tried and failed to run Unity and do run Unity 2D on my 10.10 laptop.