PDA

View Full Version : KDE netbook interace

Shmantiv_Radio
March 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Has anyone tried it? I find it really, really good!

With the whole Unity thing (which, after testing with all the alphas so far, I still really dislike), I think I will be switching to Kubuntu from now on.

WinterMadness
March 7th, 2011, 05:46 AM
i used it very briefly, i thought it was nice, but nothing I would use on a regular basis. I certainly prefered it over nbr's interface. The KDE team consistently impresses me, they are very very good at what they do.

And welcome to the KDE family :)

Lavahead
March 7th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I switched to Kubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Aspire One netbook after unsuccessfully running Ubuntu 10.10 (Gnome not Unity). In Ubuntu, Gnome power management eventually stopped detecting the battery. The battery tab even disappeared. I had to set battery preferences through gconf editor, but I didn't really know if any of it was being applied. The brightness applet also stopped working along with the ability to set brightness via the Fn keys.

In Kubuntu, for some reason, everything seems to work better. Power management senses the battery most of the time. If it doesn't, I unplug the power supply momentarily and it's back to normal. Brightness always works.

The KDE plasma netbook interface is really nice. I didn't like it at first, but now I find it to be quite intuitive. Unfortunately, KDE does not have a lot of applications. Many people will find themselves installing Gnome applications along with GTK stuff, which may not be desirable.

KDE seems to be power hungry, too. Not good for a netbook. So, I shut down as much of the startup stuff as well as Nepomuk and Strigi. In addition, since I don't use KDE PIM apps, I shut down Akonadi. Seems to have increased battery life.

Zlatan
March 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I find Kubuntu netbook interface useful too. Especially with different desktop pages and plasmoids for news, weather forecasts, gmail and so on.
+1 for Kubuntu netbook, will be interesting to test Unity when it is ready as well;)

Especially Kubuntu netbook remix rock if you have KDE4.6 installed (http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6)- it is much snappier.

BrokenKingpin
March 8th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I prefer the default layout (even on a netbook), but I really like you can switch back and forth between the normal and netbook layout with a click of a button.

I like the design of KDE a lot, it is just the small bugs and stability that stop me from using it full time.

itisbasi
August 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Just made the switch form unity and I am mighty impressed. Best netbook interface, a perfect mix of eyecandy and usefulness.

NightwishFan
August 5th, 2011, 11:09 AM
KDE 4.7 is apparently more optimized for mobile computing. I hear they cleaned up a lot of bugs.

sffvba[e0rt
August 5th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I tried it on my Samsung N150.

It looks very nice. However, I find that the Unity interface is just much more usable to get things done (Yes, I wrote Unity...)