PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help: ubuntu 10.10 usb boot goes to blank screen

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I put Ubuntu on a live usb stick and successfully boot to the menu where it give the option to install to a hard drive or boot from the usb. I've tried both options and it starts booting with text info flying by. Then it looks like it goes into a graphics mode my viewsonic LCD monitor does not support. The screen goes blank saying no analog input. I got the same error with the CD live boot/installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YesWeCan
March 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Not sure if this will help but it is easy to try. When at the live CD menu there is a boot options function key. Selct nomodeset and then boot off the CD.

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Not sure if this will help but it is easy to try. When at the live CD menu there is a boot options function key. Selct nomodeset and then boot off the CD.

Something funny is going on. I typed nomodeset at the boot menu and it said "kernel nomodeset not found".

Btw, I'm running Fedora currently. Maybe, maybe there is a conflict?

YesWeCan
March 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Weird.
Try it using a live CD or usb.

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Weird.

I get the same problem with the liveCD and booting off the usb.

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Weird.

I'm downloading 10.04 to see if that is better.

YesWeCan
March 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Pardon? You boot from a Ubntu 10.10 CD and select the nomodeset option and it reports that the kernel doesn't support nomodeset?

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Pardon? You boot from a Ubntu 10.10 CD and select the nomodeset option and it reports that the kernel doesn't support nomodeset?

That was from the usb, from the CD I was seeing the same result with the blank screen.

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 04:40 AM

The mode of failure for the live CD is: lots of activity from the CD drive, eventually the screen goes blank. The CD continues to spin for several minutes then stops. All the while the screen is blank.

elucid_one
March 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Same problem with 10.04. Going to try usb on diff hardware...

elucid_one
March 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
USB is fine. I tested it on another machine and it boots just fine. Any way to change the boot options by editing a file since the command line mode is not working?

Edit: I can also change the boot options on the other machine, but it gives an error when I do the same thing on my desktop machine.

erbey
June 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hi,
I have exactally the same problem, also running fedora (15) after. it boots into USB, ubuntu screen sometimes flashs then goes to a blanks screen, i tried an arch install cd and it said that after the cd booted it couldnt find sr0 anymore, so im not sure but it seems that after the usb or cd is booted into, something unmounts it after that, its never happened on this computer before so the only thing i think it could be is fedora (this is the first time i have used fedora) or it could even be gnome 3 im not sure...

erbey
June 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, a fedora 15 live USB seems to work fine, using the same usb and computer, ill try ubuntu again and if it stil doesnt work ill try downloading another ISO, even though this iso works on my other computers...

erbey
June 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM
when alpha 2 of oneric comes out later tonight, ill download that and see if it works, kleep you updated

erbey
June 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
ok, using the same usb. computer etc...i created a liveusb with 11.10 daily and it booted and installed fine, but now when booting into fedora, i get an error message 3 times before fedora boots, this could be causing the problem...error mesage is "failed to set xfermode (err-mast=0x4)"