PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing autoaudiosink

sideburns
March 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
My sister's using Ubuntu 10.0.4 (I'm her tech support.) and for the past several days has been unable to get sound to work on her desktop. She first noticed it on youtube videos, but we've tried other things and all sound is gone. She just let me know that the autoaudiosink element is missing. Alas, that's all I have from her email, or I'd give more details. What's the best way to get it back and maybe get her sound working again?

Temüjin
March 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
The autoaudiosink is in the gstreamer0.10-plugins-good package. Sometimes, it doesn't work for some reason. You can usually get around this by manually specifying the sink (probably pulsesink) in gconf.

gconftool-2 --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink pulsesink
gconftool-2 --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink pulsesink

Softa
March 7th, 2011, 02:29 AM
We tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. Reinstalling the package didn't do any good, either. Checking with a terminal, rhythmbox (used for testing) was still sitting in the background, hung but responded to kill -9.

Temüjin
March 9th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure what else to look for other than more detailed terminal output. Personally, I would install gstreamer dbg packages and start playing with gst-launch to see if I could find a more specific error, but that can get involved.

Anyway.. here's a free bump.

sideburns
March 9th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Does Ubuntu use pulseaudio like Fedora does? If so, maybe that's what needs reinstalling.

Temüjin
March 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Does Ubuntu use pulseaudio like Fedora does?
Ever since Ubuntu 8.04/Hardy, Ubuntu uses pulseaudio by default.
First, try removing pulse's config files and restarting it:

cd ~/
rm -rf .pulse*
pulseaudio -k

Softa
March 9th, 2011, 07:17 AM
when I ran the second command I got this in response:

E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process

And, when I tried to play an mp3, no sound. Sigh!

Temüjin
March 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
So pulseaudio isn't running.. Did you remove it by chance?
What is the output when you try to start it in terminal?

pulseaudio --start -v

Softa
March 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Same as before: the daemon failed to start. However,

ps aux | grep pulseaudio

showed that it was running, along with a helper.I killed it, tried again and it reported that it was able to start, but failed to do anything. We did, however, get a message that it couldn't find a plugin: Gstreamer autoaudiosink. And, I might add, DVDs don't play any more, not even the video. Don't know if it's related, but you never know.

Temüjin
March 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Hmm. Does gst-inspect see the sink?

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools
gst-inspect-0.10 autoaudiosink

As a last resort, you may want to delete the gstreamer registry (rm .gstreamer-0.10/* ) and install the latest stable version of gstreamer from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-developers/+archive/ppa

Softa
March 10th, 2011, 01:37 AM
The utility was already installed and it found autoaudiosink, just fine.

I took a look at that link, but it wasn't at all clear to me how to get the data about that repository added to the system. I'm the tech support (posting from my sister's box) but I'm not at all familiar with such things in Ubuntu or any other Debian-based system.

sideburns
March 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM
OK, I've looked at that link again when I'm more alert and found the instructions I'd missed. I've now installed that repo, updated to get the latest package list and installed the latest and greatest gstreamer. No change. By the time I'd done the tests, my sister's computer was reporting a flit-load of updates, all from there so I let it do its job. No effect. I'm beginning to wonder if it's hardware and if a new sound card is indicated. If so, it'll be a shame, because installing it will kill 102 days of uptime on that box.

Temüjin
March 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Run the alsa-info script. http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=182689&d=1296839973
Post results.

Softa
March 14th, 2011, 11:48 PM
OK, I've downloaded and run the script. The first thing it did was update itself. The second time, I had it upload the info on my sister's machine to here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e373bd433101e7af5edbca262457a5b309b41b29 and I hope you can get more from it than I did.

Softa
March 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Everyone,
I've tried your suggestions, unfortunately to no avail. I do have the video back up and running, but I still don't have audio.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to swap-out my sound card?

Temüjin
March 23rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Try to upgrade ALSA first: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

Softa
March 23rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I installed Pulseaudio Volume Control to make sure nothing's muted. On the Output Devices tab,it only shows Dummy Output. If I change from All Devices to Hardware Devices, it shows nothing. Checking, /proc/asound/cards shows this:

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xf9df4000 irq 22

We may well need a new sound card, and that means blowing away 113 days of uptime. *Sigh!*