PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] which ubuntu for old pc?

madeinwales
March 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
hi all
trying to revive an old pc for email and (occasional) tinternet only, cant install maverick due to 'inappropriate kernel' (cant remember exact phrase ) so can anyone recommend a different version of ubuntu, that has a simple user interface like maverick(for non pc savvy person) that will run on an old pc. amd k6 -150mhz, 356mb ram, 10 gb hdd.
or shall i just take it out back and shoot it? :)
cheers
nev

Joe of loath
March 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Your best bet will be Lubuntu. However, it's going to be slow. And I mean, slow. I'd recommend ditching Ubuntu all together and installing Debian + LXDE on it.

It won't be hard to find an old P4/Athlon XP for cheap or even free, maybe have a scout around for one of those.

davidmohammed
March 6th, 2011, 08:26 PM
try bohdi linux (http://www.bodhilinux.com/) - still a ubuntu based distro but with a claimed 128Mb RAM minimum.

GerryB
March 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
With low mhz, I've had some good results with Zenwalk. You could try the live CD and if all is good, install. There is nothing like saving very old hardware...Good luck.

madeinwales
March 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
cheers guys, never knew there was so much choice out there. i will mark as solved but have now encountered a new problem, started new thread.