PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a podcast client that will save progress

banjobacon
March 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I've been discouraged from following podcasts a few times because I always find something annoying with the podcast clients I've tried. At the moment, this is my problem. Does anyone know of a podcast client that has a solution for this?

I often don't listen to a podcast episode all the way through because I do not have time. When revisiting the podcast later, I don't know at what point I left off, and fast-forwarding through digital audio files isn't very intuitive. It's also easy to forget which episodes have not been listened to all the way though, as some podcast clients won't mark these episodes as new anymore.

This wouldn't be so bothersome if I wasn't aware of an existing solution for a similar problem. Netflix not only keeps track of what you've streamed, but also what progress you've made. If you only stream 20 minutes of a 2 hour movie, your recent activity will display a progress bar with this information. The default action is to resume where you left off, rather than starting from the beginning and finding where you left off, which would be difficult if you began watching the movie weeks ago.

This feature is probably not exclusive to Netflix, but so far I have not seen it in any of the podcast clients I have tried. Does anyone know of any that have this feature?

Thanks!

mamamia88
March 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM
any reason you just don't download the mp3 and listen to it? maybe in vlc and keep it open so you don't lose your place?

banjobacon
March 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
any reason you just don't download the mp3 and listen to it? maybe in vlc and keep it open so you don't lose your place?

They are downloaded.

I'm not the type to leave my computer on for weeks. What I'm looking for is something that will remember that I only listened to 15 minutes of that Radiolab episode I started listening to a week ago and never finished.

mamamia88
March 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
cool. i personally use miro. i just tested the playback option. i paused a podcast closed the app and relaunced it and it gave me option to resume where i left off. you might want to try that

banjobacon
March 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I hadn't used Miro in a very long time, but I suspected it might have added this feature since then.

I would love for Banshee or Rythymbox to have this feature, either built-in or through a plug-in, but I'll give Miro a try and see how it works out. Thanks.

mamamia88
March 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I hadn't used Miro in a very long time, but I suspected it might have added this feature since then.

I would love for Banshee or Rythymbox to have this feature, either built-in or through a plug-in, but I'll give Miro a try and see how it works out. Thanks.

no problem. hope it works out for you. not sure how it works for when shutting down the machine but closing the app seems to work fine. i just leave it running in the background since i don't use even close to all my ram anyway