PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the web will be like when HTML 5 comes around?

Sethun
March 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I've read a bit about it, and how it's supposed to replace flash and all these great things but, from all the users perspectives what do you think it's going to be like when it comes around?

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I care about HTML5, but, even after it fully releases; there will be nothing new to speak of that utilizes HTML5 for about a year or so. Even then, flash sites will not migrate to HTML5 until an editor as good as flash comes out for making HTML5 animations without much code knowledge.

gnomeuser
March 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I feel that the whole debate over codecs distracted from technical reviews of HTML5. I am worried about what this will mean, everyone have talked to on the matter have expressed displeasure with HTML5.

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
That's because HTML5, specifically audio/video, is limited to what codecs you use really. Which, right now, has a lot of proprietary things taking the spotlight due to proprietary codecs being the norm.

Frogs Hair
March 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Flash will be around for a while yet , a major transition will take time .

lykeion
March 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
This is pretty cool: http://hacks.mozilla.org/2011/03/webowonder/

laceration
March 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com
(you need a nextgen browser to view such as ff4, or chromium daily build)

The web will be able to approach the 3D experience of video games. That being said the richness of the web is mostly 2D informational, like it is now, so it won't be a quantum leap. We can also see the end of Flash. Hurray! I'll be happy to see the death of that cpu cycle hogging, browser crashing b**tch!

3Miro
March 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Flash will be around for a while yet , a major transition will take time .

I wish I could say that you are wrong, but sadly, I think you are right.

andras artois
March 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Flash will stick for awhile but then normal people with minimal computer knowledge will be like 'oh hey this websites way faster than that one' and it will be because it's using a HTML 5 player instead of flash. Then everyone will start using HTML 5 players a lot more and condemn flash to the fiery pits of hell from whence it came.

People might even stop trying to make flash based websites.

ikt
March 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I've read a bit about it, and how it's supposed to replace flash and all these great things but, from all the users perspectives what do you think it's going to be like when it comes around?

It will look a lot like web 2.0.

That is, much the same as web 1.9.

Paqman
March 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM
You probably won't notice a lot of difference unless you look at the source code of a page that you're on.

Dustin2128
March 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM
que the "HTML5 is not a drop in replacement for flash" guy in 3.. 2...

I've looked at quite a few demos, and so far, I like what I'm seeing. WebGL looks especially exciting, I mean we could have totally cross platform hardware accelerated games inside a few years, with no porting effort needed. Combined with CSS3, I think it'll make the web a much better place. Just hope and pray that IE9, standards compliant though it looks like it's shaping up to be, doesn't hold us back.

You probably won't notice a lot of difference unless you look at the source code of a page that you're on.
The temperature of your computer room may drop a few degrees...

Merk42
March 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
que the "HTML5 is not a drop in replacement for flash" guy in 3.. 2...

You rang?

khelben1979
March 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I expect no major changes just because of HTML 5 alone. Looks like it's gonna take a while (http://www.webmonkey.com/2008/09/html_5_won_t_be_ready_until_2022dot_yes__2022dot/) though...

When it comes to flash, it has improved and that's what I'm looking forward to the most at the present, because it's probably gonna be around for a long time to come. The best techniques aren't always the ones which gets most attention.

beetleman64
March 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I doubt I'm alone in being terrified of the prospect of an H.264 dominated future, so I'm not going to totally advocate HTML5 until the inevitable lawsuit between H.246 and WebM resolves. I've heard the US Department of Justice (them again? Funny how they seem to tail anything Microsoft's involved with) might be investigating this as an anti-competitive practice so fingers crossed.

I think WebM will have a large amount of support because of the effect of Firefox, Chrome and Opera, which make up 50% of the market. Anyone who decides to exclusively uses H.264 would be foolish.

I suspect Flash will be around for a wee while yet, if only because of Flash games we all waste years of our lives playing. And anyhow, a total transition to HTML5 will take a while anyway.

Merk42
March 6th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I doubt I'm alone in being terrified of the prospect of an H.264 dominated future, so I'm not going to totally advocate HTML5 until the inevitable lawsuit between H.246 and WebM resolves.*sigh*
HTML5 (and Flash for that matter) is far far more than just a delivery mechanism for video.

mmsmc
March 6th, 2011, 10:21 PM
what are the differences between the current html and html5 (just now heard about this!)

Lucradia
March 6th, 2011, 11:27 PM

You rang?

HTML5 can be a drop-in replacement for flash. You can have easter eggs, games, video, etc. just like a strong bad email.

However, this depends on what you consider, drop-in. If you mean:

You can convert basically everything from your SWF flash to HTML5 with just a few days, then yes, you can (basic functions, not severely complex systems such as full-blown RPGs)

But if you mean drop-in as in, you can convert flash directly to HTML5, no.

But if you mean you can use HTML5 to play SWFs without flash, then yes. (HTML5 will also allow you to click flash button events as if it were the SWF playing directly, such as easter eggs.)

Merk42
March 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
what are the differences between the current html and html5 (just now heard about this!)Way too much to write here, but Dive Into HTML5 (http://www.diveintohtml5.com) is a good start.

HTML5 can be a drop-in replacement for flash. You can have easter eggs, games, video, etc. just like a strong bad email.Not without a lot of javascript though.
It's partly the whole "there is no conversion thing", but also how a lot of people think that video is the only thing Flash is used for and that HTML5 consists of.

khelben1979
March 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I think WebM will have a large amount of support because of the effect of Firefox, Chrome and Opera, which make up 50% of the market. Anyone who decides to exclusively uses H.264 would be foolish.

Are you saying that Internet Explorer has less than 50% on that? Where did you find the statistics for that? *curious* I've never seen those numbers before.