PDA

View Full Version : Which linux distro should I choose next

robro
March 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hello community,
Well i'm pretty comfortable with ubuntu, and i want to try a different linux distro.

distro's that look be good:
fedora
linux mint
PCLinuxOS

distro's that I do not want:
Windows
Windows
(you guessed it :lol:)Windows
Gentoo

Is there any other distros i should know about? (i have been to distrowatch.com and they just have too many to choose from... :lolflag:)
I would like something possibly made for a netbook. (made for small screen's, the size doesn't matter, 160 gb hdd ftw :D)

I want to add that I will keep ubuntu :)

Thanks for your help :)

Timmer1240
March 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ive been using Linux Mint Debian Edition for the last month I like it alot!

mips
March 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Arch or Archbang

Spice Weasel
March 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/

TinyCore is an excellent, very original and unique distro. It uses its own desktop environment compiled from applications that use the FLTK, which is amazingly fast and lightweight. You start off only with basic applications for configuring and such, but there is a quick package manager with a nice choice of applications for installing (which can even be done in live mode thanks to the install to memory feature).

It's a nice choice for netbooks because of the simple interface and quickness of the system. It's ideal for quickly getting online but I'd recommend keeping a "heavy" distro installed alongside it.

Also try a KDE3/Trinity distribution, because in my opinion it's one of the best desktops ever. SimplyMEPIS (Debian based) or GoboLinux (Pretty cool unique distro here) spring to mind.

malspa
March 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Distros I have running here right now:

Mepis 8
Linux Mint 9 (Isadora) (main GNOME version, but I'm running KDE on it)
Ubuntu Lucid
Debian Squeeze (GNOME version)
PCLinuxOS
Fedora 14 (KDE version)
SalineOS

All of these are looking good here.

Mepis is getting closer to releasing Mepis 11, which is still in beta.

This is my first time around with Fedora -- installed it back in December -- and it seems like a great distro so far.

Saline, the new kid on the block, is basically Squeeze with Xfce. It's set up to pull from Backports. It comes with a pretty good user manual, and seems like an easy distro.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but I'm happy with each of these distros.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know how any of these are on a netbook.

fuduntu
March 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hello community,
Is there any other distros i should know about? (i have been to distrowatch.com and they just have too many to choose from... :lolflag:)
I would like something possibly made for a netbook. (made for small screen's, the size doesn't matter, 160 gb hdd ftw :D)

Take a look at Fuduntu (http://www.fuduntu.org).

CharlesA
March 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Crunchbang or Fedora.

Timmer1240
March 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I heard opensuse works very well with laptops and netbooks.

DougieFresh4U
March 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Windows
Windows
(you guessed it :lol:)Windows
Gentoo

Is there any other distros i should know about?

Gee, have you tried Windows?:lolflag:

3Miro
March 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I get the windows thing, but what's with Gentoo. Have you considered Sabayon.

Other than that, I would go with Arch.

JRV
March 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Have you tried Puppy?

It is a small distro, and very complete for 130 meg.

Ubuntu is my primary distro, but I find Puppy usefull. I use it on a USB stick that I carry with me most of the time. It is also a good recovery tool.

BigSilly
March 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'd definitely recommend PCLinuxOS. I'm currently triple booting it with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It's a marvellous , considered and tailored distro that I'm really enjoying. It's using the latest KDE4 (4.6.1), and that is a breath of fresh air after using Gnome for so long.

I'm definitely sticking with it, that's for sure.

Hur Dur
March 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/

TinyCore is an excellent, very original and unique distro. It uses its own desktop environment compiled from applications that use the FLTK, which is amazingly fast and lightweight. You start off only with basic applications for configuring and such, but there is a quick package manager with a nice choice of applications for installing (which can even be done in live mode thanks to the install to memory feature).

It's a nice choice for netbooks because of the simple interface and quickness of the system. It's ideal for quickly getting online but I'd recommend keeping a "heavy" distro installed alongside it.

I second TinyCore. It's a good distro that teaches you the basics of Linux. Not to mention, it is very fast. It isn't the distro for you if you like a plug and play type of Linux. I learned more in 1 week on TinyCore than I learned in 1 month on GnewSense.

Also, GoboLinux, Arch Linux, Linux From Scratch, Archbang, and Debian are good distros. I recommend Debian if you are used to Ubuntu, as they use the same package manager.

It's not Linux, but I really recommend KolibriOS. It's an amazing OS. They fit an entire OS with quite a few programs into 3mb. You can even play Doom and Quake on it. However, it is next to impossible to get connected to the internet on it.

Out of the ones you are looking at:
Linux Mint. Go for the Debian version, though. Much better in my opinion.

Dustin2128
March 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Well, what do you want in a distro? I've been using slack exclusivley for coming up on 6 months, and I've learned quite a lot about linux doing that. Not to mention that as long as I don't screw anything up, it's rock solid, have not had a crash not caused by something stupid I did since I started using it. Also a pretty significant 3D performance boost from ubuntu
<offtopic>
worst crash I ever caused was from somehow setting vi to be the default program to open mp3s with.
</offtopic>

uRock
March 6th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I've recently played with OpenSUSE, OpenSolaris, Fuduntu, RHEL7.3 and Puppy. All were fun, but Ubuntu and W7 are my production installs.

mmsmc
March 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
i use ubuntu 10.10, xp, 7, and i have recently been working on backtrack

uRock
March 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
backtrack
I wish they'd use GNOME instead of KDE, but it is still a great toolkit for its purpose.:D

mmsmc
March 6th, 2011, 10:44 PM
i only use the terminal(white hat hacking) and so on, im thinking about trying out the KDE, but i dont use it on a daily bases like ubuntu

cblnchat
March 7th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hello community,
Well i'm pretty comfortable with ubuntu, and i want to try a different linux distro.

Ive heard good things about Fuduntu. I havent tried it yet. But im going to within the next week. I need to find my usb drive so i can try to boot from usb lol. I have a netbook aswell.

cgroza
March 7th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Go for something NOT DEBIAN, try some new stuff.

Timmer1240
March 7th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Take a look at Fuduntu (http://www.fuduntu.org).

Fuduntu looks pretty interesting.

robro
March 7th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the help :)
basicly what I want is something fast and specifficly made for a netbook but still has all the apps you would in a normal desktop, also i'm looking for something that runs off a usb flash drive, I don't wanna mess with partitioning(?)

WinterMadness
March 7th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Arch and Mandriva are the best imo.

Arch's setup is a little ridiculous tho

slooksterpsv
March 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I heard opensuse works very well with laptops and netbooks.

No offense, OpenSuSE makes my laptop overheat, even with the latest version, drivers installed (which causes gnome not to boot graphically), etc. Guess my laptop isn't OpenSuSE Friendly - Gateway NV53

-- Hmmm... if you were doing lots of Virtualization, I'd say Fedora. Fedora seems like it's faster for Virtualization. Plus Fedora uses RPMs instead of DEBs

Otherwise Mepis is a great one to try.

mmsmc
March 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
what linux distro would be best for an older person who knows extremely little about computers, and has used windows all there lives

March 7th, 2011, 06:52 AM
If your looking for a new OS, why not test 11.04?

piquat
March 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
what linux distro would be best for an older person who knows extremely little about computers, and has used windows all there lives

Linux Mint. It's a little more 'windowsy' and still enough like Ubuntu under the hood to make the threads here useful.

To the OP:

distro's that look be good:
fedora
linux mint
PCLinuxOS

If you want a change, Mint isn't it.
I like the suggestion already given of something NOT debian, for a real change.

March 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Linux Mint. It's a little more 'windowsy' and still enough like Ubuntu under the hood to make the threads here useful.

To the OP:

If you want a change, Mint isn't it.
I like the suggestion already given of something NOT debian, for a real change.

SO why not try fedora If you not gonns test 11.04?
other than a Debian based system?(which is usually stable?

gnomeuser
March 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
OpenSuSE 11.4 is coming out soon and it has some good stuff in it. However the really interesting changes I suspect will come with the 11.5/12 release which should open soon as well. This would make a good challenge.

The newest Mandriva alpha is also looking pretty nice, they have always been a bit underrated and hampered by their own strange choices and unwillingness to be open and focused.

If you really want to try something fun, Gentoo or Exherbo. This should require a lot of learning but be rewarding. Nothing I would recommend running long time though (and I say that as having spent years on Gentoo).

robro
March 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
alright i got a distro for running a linux flash drive
Now i want a "real" distro, im looking at opensuse, are there any more distros that are specifically made for a netbook?