PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade OS?

DMGrier
March 6th, 2011, 12:54 PM
So I am currently running 10.04 on my laptop and with these six month releases seem to be getting some new features that 10.04 does not have. I really wanted to stay with the 10.04 cause it is a LTS but I feel like I am falling behind with some of the new updates so how do I upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10?

What is the point of having a LTS version if it will not recieve all the updates like for example adobe new flash player or even the newest version of rythem box in the software center?

mörgæs
March 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
You can use any of the supported versions of Ubuntu. I am sticking to 9.10 until the last day of support.

Before making the decision, try a live boot of 10.10. Are the changes really important to you?

The point in LTS is exactly what the name says: Long time support. You will receive bug fixes, but development is focused on only one release (which is 11.04 now).

mcduck
March 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
So I am currently running 10.04 on my laptop and with these six month releases seem to be getting some new features that 10.04 does not have. I really wanted to stay with the 10.04 cause it is a LTS but I feel like I am falling behind with some of the new updates so how do I upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10?

What is the point of having a LTS version if it will not recieve all the updates like for example adobe new flash player or even the newest version of rythem box in the software center?

Stability over long time, of course. :D

Getting new versions of software is pretty much exactly the thing that isn't wanted in corporate use, for example. And that's why LTS versions exist, to provide a platform that can be used for longer times without things changing too much.

If you want more up-to-date versions of softwares you really just should update to later release versions when available instead of sticking with an LTS version.

(Anyway, the basic rule is software versions are not updated on Ubuntu after a release, the only updates you should expect are security updates and fixes more more serious bugs. There are some expectations to this rule, but in general the rules for adding a new package version are very strict and it's not done just to provide new features or provide people with latest versions of programs.)

Also there's always the option of using a PPA repository to get the latest versions of the programs you want. I'd recommend updating to latest stable Ubuntu release first, though.

DMGrier
March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah you guys are right, I am going to just stick with 10.04 cause I like it and it has been very stable for me. I am going to just intall the latest media and flash players.

Though I do have another question, I was reading some where online that Ubuntu may not release another LTS, is it true the 10.04 will be the last LTS?

mörgæs
March 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have not heard that, and I would be very surprised if it happened. Large-scale professional installations would suffer, if the long time support is abandoned. Nobody wants to turn them down.