PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need floppy drive work around

TCMGO
March 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
In installing XP on the first drive of dual boot system using two drives, it requires during setup (after hitting F6 and S) that I install the SATA drivers using a floppy drive (A). I haven't had the need nor have I used a floppy drive in 5 years. I am not sure the old floppy drive I have works or whether the diskette (the original that came with my Abit NF7-S motherboard) has gone bad. Is there a work around for this? Can one even buy floppy drives or diskettes anymore?

Telengard C64
March 6th, 2011, 01:09 AM
You can most certainly buy floppy drives and diskettes on eBay and other places that deal in used equipment. Last time I checked they were still available at the local PC shops. Just make sure your motherboard has a floppy header.

There are also USB floppy drives, but I'm not sure whether the PC's BIOS will find a floppy drive connected by USB without an external driver.

There are also devices which emulate a floppy drive using flash memory. Again, I don't know whether your PC's BIOS can communicate with such a device.

Last resort, call Microsoft and ask them WTF you're supposed to do now that new computers don't have floppy drives.
:(

psusi
March 6th, 2011, 01:31 AM
The real solution is to throw XP in the trash where it belongs :P

If you must though, you can burn your own installation CD with the driver already included. This process is called slipstreaming. Google should find you instructions.